Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork roast-need advice

Options
deltadawn
deltadawn Posts: 94
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have 3.6# pork roast (was suppose to be a ham, but wasn't cured). It is not very thick, maybe 1 1/2 inches. Should this be done on low & slow for maybe 8 or 10 hrs? Need some advice. The pork from this pig has been kind of tough, so what would be the best way to cook? Any help will be appreciated....

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    there are proabably a hundred diffrent ways to cook that roast but here is one that caught my eye

Pork, Roast, Cuban

I have been reading about Cuban Pork sandwiches and decided to try making the pork on the Kamado. The sandwiches were awesome, definitely a do-again.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed and tied
    or
    3 lb pork loin roast (that's what I used)
    2 tsp cumin seeds
    1 tsp whole black peppercorns
    8 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1/3 cup dry sherry
    3 Tbs lemon juice
    3 Tbs fresh lime juice
    2 Tbs olive oil
    Cuban Pork Sandwich
    Flat crusty rolls
    Cuban Pork
    Thinly sliced ham (wafer thin)
    Sliced swiss cheese
    Thinly sliced red onions
    Mustard
    Mayonnaise
    Pickles (bread and butter or dill)

Procedure:
    1 Heat a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and peppercorns to the pan; stir constantly until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Cool.
    2 Using a mortar and pestle, crush toasted spices with garlic, salt, and oregano to make a paste. You can also do this in the small bowl of a food processor. Transfer to a small bowl, and stir in orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, sherry, and olive oil.
    3 Place the pork in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour citrus marinade over meat, and seal. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning the bag over occasionally.
    4 Preheat the Kamado to 325 degrees.
    5 Place pork roast on grill rack over direct heat and smoke/cook until done to your liking.
    6 Spread rolls with mayonnaise and mustard to taste.
    7 Assemble sandwich with cheese, meat, onion rings, pickles, then cheese again. Spray rolls with olive oil spray (or brush it on). Grill sandwiches in a skillet with a weight on top (I used my cast iron dutch oven with foil next to the sandwich). Turn and grill second side.
    8 These sandwiches are really awesome. I had mine with dill pickles and Spike had bread and butter.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: Kamado, 04/18/02

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Dang. A 3.5 pound roast only an inch and half thick? Sounds like it must be 18 inches across! Anything that thick I would think about cooking direct. You have a picture of it?

Best of luck!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    'assa damn steak is what that am!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • deltadawn
    Options
    It was meant to be a ham steak! My daughter asked if we wanted to split a pig, so she had the meat processed and brought it to us. She didn't know that you had to cure the ham, she thought it came off the pig as ham. Ha ha! she hasn't lived it down, yet. Although we did have cured bacon.