Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT: Dickey's Barbecue

BluesnBBQBluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited 10:53AM in EggHead Forum
I drove by a new barbecue place, in Beltsville, MD (I live in College Park, just a few miles south). It's called Dickey's and it's a national chain (probably not a good sign). Has anyone ever eaten there? Is it worth checking out?

Comments

• If its a franchise of the Dickeys based out of Dallas.....
    NO in my opinion.

allen
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,471
    We have Dickey's in Dallas, been here for decades. Heck maybe started here, don't know. There are two restaurant types that when I visit, I hope there is a line to get in: barbeque and cafeteria joints. Best way I now to get fresh food. It may not be great food when compared to other alternatives (cooking at home) but chances are, it's the best the joints can offer. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I've eaten at 2 different Dickey's in Dallas. They had pretty good brisket and sausage (not competition grade, but good).
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,471
    In the early 90s, I use to eat at the store in north dallas, forest lane/central near medical city. We've moved offices, but believe that store is still there. Use to see Ross Perot every so often.

Now I have a new store one mile from the house. Ate there twice. Second time had the sliced brisket. It would have been better chopped, if you know what I mean! I like their potato salad....
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mattmmattm Posts: 56
    I live in Dallas and there are Dickey's all around town and I have eaten there plenty of times. They are not the best I have had...too "mainstream" I suppose. That said, I do like their sausage...just wish they would thicken and spice up their sauce a bit more.

My experience is that peoples tastes differ on where they live and what BBQ is/has been available, Give them a try and find out.
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    I'm in that area fairly often - where's it located? Route 1, maybe north of Ikea?
  • I guess I'll try them one of these days. Not tonight though. It's starting to get cold here, and if I'm in Beltsville, I'm going to have a bowl of pho for dinner!
  • Yeah, Rt. 1, I think right before Powder Mill Road (on the right side if you're heading north).
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    They are also in the terminal at DFW. -RP
  • Look and see if they have a smokestack. We've got one of these up here in Boise; the sides are good, the brisket is about the dryest I've ever have. They bbq someplace else and truck it in for serving.Use plenty of sauce....

Good eggin'
    -Paul
  • Gate C6 and A18. There's one in terminal D too, I think, but I forgot the gate. Tee hee! I fly through Dallas specifically to visit Dickey's, but now we have one here.
    The Naked Whiz
  • If you were in Texas, you could do a lot better than Dickey's. But when you are in North Carolina, for example, you can't do much better if you want Texas BBQ. I love them and probably get there once a month. To each his own, I reckon.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I've eaten at Dickey's in Dallas and NC (four locations in all) about 40 times and never had dry brisket. Maybe you have a bad franchise in Boise.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Hey Steve - I was wondering about that place too. We usually go North to Shane's in Laurel, or KBQ in Bowie (pretty good IMO).
    That pho place across from Costco is good - is that the one you go to?
    Maybe I'll see you there sometime as it's on the lunch rotation here at work.
  • Whiz,

I worked in the Research Triangle Park area for a short time back in the late 80's. On my relocation trip in, I stopped at a roadside BBQ stand and ordered a BBQ sandwich. The attendant brought me a slice of white bread with a pile of shredded pork. Topping that was some cole slaw and a vinegar based sauce. I responded "This is not what I ordered." She asked where I was from. "Texas" I said.

She said "You're in North Carolina now, Boy!"

Good eggin -

-Paul
  • Hey Jason. There's two pho places in Beltsville, less than a mile apart. I usually go to the one in the shopping center that has a Quiznos and a pet store (I think PetCo).

I very rarely have lunch in Beltsville since I work in DC.
  • LOL, yep, that's about the size of it.
    The Naked Whiz
  • How funny I ate at a Dickey's in Addison Tx yesterday while I am on the road. The chicken had an awesome flavor. On a weekday diet till I get home.