Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

unbiased reccomendations

Options
hulk 1
hulk 1 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am brand new to any forum. I hope that I can receive unbiased reviews, (I know this will be tough). Many years ago I saw a Big Green Egg and said to my wife that someday we would have one. Many gas grills later I think the time has come. In scanning the ethernet I encountered many "reviews/comparisons" of the Egg vs the Grill Dome, Kamado, Primo and maybe others. Confusion and indecision have reared their ugly heads. There is a Green Egg dealer nearby, but asking a salesperson for an unbiased assessment is useless.
I hope someone out there can help me.

Thanks

P.S. we are but two and like roasts and steaks.

Comments

• Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    I bought a Big Green Egg based on their reputation but mostly because of this forum. As fair and balanced as I can be.
  • rockytopsc
    Options
    It's just the two of us. Bought a large bge just on the reputation and can't believe we didn't do it earlier. Just Do It!
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    I have 4 BGE's so my opinion may be a little biased but i think you will get multiple responses that most of the ceramic cookers that are out there are very similar in the quality of the cook that you will get wheather it is low and slow or high temp sears. Some people here on the forum own both primo and BGE and are probably happy with both. The main difference comes in with the Community of users with BGE and the wealth of information that you will get her on a day by day basis or even minute by minute basis depending on how often you want to seek out information here. I have been on the Primo forum before and there is no comparison to this forum as far as the info and support you get here. Now talking about the individual products, BGE has been here the longest and most everyone else has tried to be BGE but have not come thru. I have always been intrigued by the Primo desigh but when you talk to them about warranty of their unit, it falls short of what you will get with BGE which is lifetime. You may find one of the other brands that you may get cheaper but somethings you cant put a price on. good luck with your decision.
  • kefrantz
    Options
    We didn't buy our medium egg, we won it at a company Christmas party (we were the only people in the company that didn't own one). I hadn't even heard of them before then. Before the Egg, I couldn't have cared less about grilled food. Now, I wouldn't trade my egg for anything. There is very little that I cannot cook on it. On July 4, my stove died. I haven't missed it. Last night I even made chocolate chip cookies on it. Every day is a new adventure.

Hope this helps
  • WADoug
    WADoug Posts: 191
    Options
    I don't thing - hate the negative - let me start again, I think you will find a biased opinion here and for reasons. I'm sure ceramic ovens will cook in a similar manner, but the BGE gives me product, service and support beyond the others. What ever you get, you will love this forum, very knowledgeable, responsive and caring people.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    ...and I was going to say...

but your assessment, let alone BGE count said we should hear you out...

all I'll say is - just 2 of us here after 8+ years and we have 4 BGEs. Just tonight I used 2 of them for what I call a simple Tuesday night meal...being a flat iron steak and a baked potato.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    My Dad has a Medium BGE
    My Brother has a Medium BGE
    My Sister has a Large BGE
    I have a Large, Small & Mini BGE

If you were a blood relative I would WHOLE HEARTEDLY advise you to get a BGE.... Even though you aren't I still advise you to get a BGE.

PRETTY UNBIASED RIGHT :whistle:

FYI: My Sister's Mother in Law has Two Large BGE's :lol:
  • Pharmeggist
    Options
    I would highly recommend you check this site out.

www.nakedwhiz.com

P.S. if you get anything else you probably will be green with envy :laugh:

Caution: Buying an egg may cause a life long addiction to good food and make eating out seem like punishment :silly:
  • UGAVET
    UGAVET Posts: 577
    Options
    well we will definately be in the same club soon. 18yr son will be moving on in life after this year of school so it will be just the 2 of us and 4 eggs. Im sure i can keep them busy as you do.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Pushing 2 years ago I was looking for something else. Had bought many gassers, most of which were rusted and gone. Had many smokers at the time 4 on the patio and still not happy. I was kind of looking as a barrel cooker or a pellet smoker. Had no idea what ceramic cookers were.

I heard third hand of a round looking green cooker and the owners were rather weird on a forum. Googled and eventually found the egg page and noticed the forum.

Didn't look to much at the BGE page but spent a day and half reading the posts. Googled for other ceramic cookers and looked at 2 or 3 other forums. The forums were completely different and at that time not very active. Not like this forum.

Found a local dealer and that night had a large on the back patio.

Fast forward to current time. Two of us most of the time and now have 4 BGE's. I don't need 4 eggs and only once in a while will I have 4 going at once.

I love the large and love the mini.

Back then these folks here on the forum sold me on getting the BGE, period!!! Today, the forum sold me on the BGE and BGE's incredible warranty service. I have needed the warranty and BGE has more been fair to me and from reading the posts to many other folks.

Now I am biased.

GG
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    My wife surprised me with a Medium Egg. :) I have since added a small. :)

IMO -- and only opinion, mind you! -- ceramic cookers are pretty much alike... B) IMO ceramic is ceramic. ;) IMO good lump will do on one what it does on the other. :laugh: IMO air comes in the bottom and comes out the top. :silly:

However -- and here I'm going to sound like everyone else -- Service from the dealer is perhaps more important than the brand. Also, support from this forum is also is really B-I-G deal. :woohoo: :woohoo:

If I had a hot-shot Grill Dome dealer in town, and no BGE dealer in sight... I'd get a Grill Dome. :unsure:

But I do have a great dealer, :woohoo: who really takes care of me! Sounds silly to say, but he cares that my cooks are successful -- and he treats me fair about dollars and I don't mind him making a living. :kiss:

I recently had an issue with the "first" dealer that my wife bought from. :( I finally phoned MotherShip, and they took care of me Immediately. :woohoo: They did not pass Go, did not collect $200... the sent a replacement part out which arrived in perfect condition. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

The MotherShip! Don't forget the BGE MotherShip! And look around for other brand MotherShips... We ain't talkin' Apples an' Apples, here. :ermm:

Good luck -- Let us know how you come out... and if'n you get something other'n an Egg, come back and post with us. We're glad to welcome you! :)

~ Best Wishes!

~ Broc

:whistle: :cheer: :ermm:
  • Michael B
    Options
    Do you have any specific questions?
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    The truth is, the big decision is to buy a ceramic grill -- you will love it. You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Choosing between the brands is like choosing between a Ford and a Chevy.

I bought a Lg BGE and absolutely love it. Then I bought another brand and I love it too.

There are only a couple that seem to stand out with really active forums, and have accessories made for them.

Check out the banners at the top, about the Eggfests. They are fun and you can get a good deal on demo eggs.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    This is kind of like going to the Ford dealer and asking about a Chevy LOL! But we have 5, yes 5 and there are two of us Crazy HUH?? but we started with a large and then got a small to go camping. got a Med for the FL house as we could not stand to use the gasser when we went down for the winter, got a med for the studio and ended up taking in the lg instead and keeping the med at home. went to the NH egg fest and came home with a mini. parents have bought two since we got ours and two sets of friends have gotten med and another is saving for one! Do we love them? yup! will we ever go back to gas? Nope! do we recommend them YES! So much that we have seriously discussed becoming a dealer. Like has been stated check out the other forums. that will sell the egg.
  • newegg
    Options
    We finally did it. After asking questions, etc. we got our Large BGE. We have been cooking on it for about 2 weeks. I love it. The people on this site have been so helpful. The food we have made has been unbelievably delicious. My husband and I have signed up for Eggtoberfest and will be getting a Mini BGE. I highly recommend becoming an EGGhead. :laugh: :laugh:
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Steve brought home #4 recently....
  • Beanie-Bean
    Options
    I replaced my kettle, gasser, and smoker with a single LBGE. You really need to try some food cooked on one, and I believe that will seal the deal :)

BTW, since I made the switch in Oct 2007, I've acquired an SBGE and another LBGE. Just thought that may help your decision, too. If I had to, I could still cook on any other cooker, but I prefer the BGE.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    ...that's like going to a peta meeting and asking about veggies or beef. You are going to get biased answers.

I will try to be impartial. Round ceramic grills are round ceramic grills. The primo ovals have a few featues that I do like. However it is not better than the support from a good egg dealer and from Atlanta. So fo me, it is the egg.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    We can't speak of what is good about any of the other ceramic cookers because we all opted for the Egg. Also we're not supposed to on this board. But...

Things worthy to note:

Every other ceramic cooker compares itself to the BGE, as if acknowledging BGE as the standard of excellence.

Other ceramic cooker companies also try to denegrate the BGE. This is only mudslinging and doesn't correctly convey any factual information. So if you hear it, take it with a grain of salt.

The other cookers used to be cheaper, but now they have incorporated improvements to make them competitive and the prices are in line with the BGE.

BGE lifetime (as in YOUR lifetime)Warrantee. I don't think the other companies warrantee their products as completely as the BGE.

You get great support with the Egg both here and at the Mothership. This forum is an excellent resource.

I don't know what you are currently using to cook on, but I feel that the BGE allows you to "take off the training wheels" and enter a whole new world of outdoor cooking! I do more on my Egg than I'd ever done on my Gasser, stove and oven combined! This may be true for other ceramic cookers as well, but I know the Egg works and the accessories available for it remove all limits on what you can cook. While it may be possible to cook the same dishes on the other cookers, I don't know that it would be as easy.
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Just my 2 cents but in my opinion, the biggest difference between the ceramic cookers is your dealer and the service.

Ceramic cooking offers many advantages (and some disadvantages) over other grills/smokers and you can produce great results with any of the makes and models.

I am somewhat biased, but I think that BGE was the best choice for me. The company has the some of the best customer service I have ever experienced ... hands down. I may have paid a little more for a BGE than for another brand, but I have received every pennies worth if not more. What ever cooker you choose, it will last a looooong time. If your dealer or the manufacturer is not around, you're stuck.

Another issue is this forum. Think of it as a living user manual. Any question you have can be posted and you will get answers!

I know you will enjoy your choice!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i have never seen a grill dome, primo, or kamado in a shop for sale. bge is everywhere, even near you. must be something to it.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    Hulk1 - My experience, which started unbiased, ended at a LBGE. I started early this year researching BGE, Grill Dome, Primos, & Dragonfire. I was looking for a solid, dependable, cost effective ceramic that would have a good warranty and future support. That eliminated the Dragonfire. Not because it didn't have those things, but because I didn't feel comfortable that it had them. (ie: I didn't know, and still don't know) :blink: One down. Then I looked at the Primos. They were eliminated based upon the cost effectiveness, as they were the most expensive, and I didn't have an interest in the oval. Then there were 2! I made my decision, a large grill dome. I could choose my color, the support was supposed to be second to none. I went on the website and priced out what I needed. The GD was less expensive, even with shipping, than the BGE. I tried to inquire by email & phone but got no response. The owner was in India on business. That's fine. Then I found out that the website prices were outdated. Once I recalculated the cost of the large grill dome in comparison to the BGE, the BGE was more cost effective. I went to a dealer and picked one up, drove it home, set it up, and smoked a butt over nite.

That being said, there are minor differences between the ceramic cookers. Each has there benefits over the other.

For instance: Dragonfire - larger cooking surface (19"). Comes complete with nest & sidetables at a great price. Bands & hardware are stainless.

Grill Dome - hi-tech ceramics that are thicker than the others. (longer heat up, better retention) Machined lid & base surface for good seal. Stainless bands & hinge. Nice selection of colors and sizes (dome heights)

Primo - Sorry, the price eliminated them pretty quick, so I didn't do a ton of research on them.

Egg - great dealer network, great accessories, great forum support, great warranty support.

IMHO, they will all burn similar amounts of lump, produce juicy, tasty food, and very easy to learn and use.

You won't go wrong with any of them, but be sure how the warranty works, just in case.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Good points! But I would add that I don't think the others offer the same level of accessories which enable the diverse cooking possibilities on the Egg.- Did you notice whether or not when you were researching?
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    I have never cooked on/eaten from/or even seen any other type of ceramic cooker so I will leave those comments to those who have. What I will say is that the egg is a a great conversation piece, "An unusual object that arouses comment or interest". Every time I say to someone I'm cook'n on my egg, I get the usual :huh: barrage of questions and interest & people want to see it for themselves. I just don't believe I would get the same reaction by saying I'm cook'n on my (fill in the blank...)
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    it's worth noting that the Grill Dome comes in many colors because it is painted. High temp epoxy, sure, but there are threads on their forum about re-painting.

the egg (and primo) are glazed finishes, essentially glass-coated ceramic.

crazing is perfectly natural, and has no effect on the life of the finish. the life of the BGE finish is effectively "forever"
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    As you see the egg is very good. That said; if this forum was pushing cooking in the trunk of a Chevrolet, just buy a Chevrolet and follow this forum.
    The people in the forum will hold your hand all the way on any question or cook. The egg is make outstanding because of the forum.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i was tailgating and we parked in a different section of the parking lot than we normally do, across from the stadium. there were literally seven bike cops hanging out right near us. i figure the parking area must have a 'history'. anyway, two of the officers look over and are talking to me about the egg. i've had about five beers at this point, and have one in my hand. they were really interested (so were the dudes parked next to us). as they pedal away, i said to my brother, "should probably leave the bong under the back seat, eh?"

sometimes the egg attracts TOO MUCH attention.

(saw maybe 4 cruisers driving up and down the lanes, and four policeman on horseback. P10 must be the low rent district! never see that stuff in P2....)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • 70chevelle
    Options
    Flashback Bob wrote:
    Good points! But I would add that I don't think the others offer the same level of accessories which enable the diverse cooking possibilities on the Egg.- Did you notice whether or not when you were researching?

Definitely not. Knowing that I didn't have to rig something up with a pizza stone/firebrick/flower pot as a heat deflector for my first low & slow, definitely played a part in my decision.
  • oldfishinglure
    Options
    Dont forget add a few inches to your waist line..
    www.finandflame.com

www.oldfishinglure.com
  • Nils
    Nils Posts: 82
    Options
    unbiased... like looking for a virgin in a cathouse! lol

I grew up where the ONLY grilling was open pit over oak wood. Was ridiculed by family & friends when I tried a Weber kettle grill out 20 years ago, but have been using them ever since. Still cook open pit when I go back "home", and use gas grills when I cook at a few friends homes. I can pretty much cook anything, anywhere - with no complaints on the fruits of my labor.

Been eyeballing kamado style cookers for a year, and just bought my Large BGE last month.

For me, picking the BGE came down to three things: support, support, support (okay - one thing, support). More dealers carry the BGE (discounting that a main competitor is avaiable via internet - not going into the internet verses dealer only issue). Like pretty much everyone is saying here - this forum is a huge marketing pitch, what... a hundred posts a day, or some sufficiently large and impressive number.

You have a question - you post it here - you'll get an answer immediately, if not sooner. YOn average, you'll get an answer here faster than the police can respond to a 911 call!