Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Going to make chili tomorrow, any reason not to prepare everything tonight, brown the meat and onions, add all the ingredients and put in the fridge till morning??? I will add bell pepper and celery to the recipe, sound O.K.???
Thanks,
New Bob

[ul][li]Chili[/ul]

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    New Bob,
    Chili's one of those dishes that's almost always 'better the next day'. A nice looking recipe.
    Qfan

• Bordello
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Thanks for the reply. I will have to cut way back on all that garlic as it is not something I'm fond of, the recipe does look good.
    Cheers,
    New Bob

• Big Ed
    Big Ed Posts: 23
    Options
    New Bob,[p]Now you are talking my kind of chili. This looks very much like the Texas chili I make, except for the tomato paste. I love garlic, but this does sound a little excessive. I have found that the chili is always better the next day or the next day.[p]Good luck, let us know how it comes out.[p]Big Ed

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    New Bob,[p] The tasty, simple chili I made Saturday (amounts approximate):[p]1 large sweet onion, chopped
    3 sweet red peppers, chopped
    2 cloves elephant garlic, chopped
    half a stick of butter
    1 12 oz. bottle of lightish cheapish beer (I think I used a leftover Foster's)
    1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
    1 8 oz can crushed tomatoes
    about 3 pounds (after cooking weight) pulled pork, chopped up
    a couple tablespoons cumin (to taste)
    chili powder (gosh, about 1/3 cup maybe, again, to taste)
    black pepper (to taste)
    kosher salt (to taste)
    cayenne powder (to taste)
    1 can black beans
    1 can red beans[p]Cook the onions, garlic, peppers in the butter until soft (I just put it all in the microwave for about 9 minutes on high). Add to the pot, along with everything else except the beans. Start simmering. Stir every so often. After a few hours, taste and adjust the seasonings. About an hour before serving, add the beans. That's it! I cooked the chili for about 10 hours in a crock pot as I was out running errands most of the day. Next time I'll used diced tomatoes insted of the crushed ones. A very meaty chili . . .[p]Mike[p]

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    MikeO,[p] Oh, and toss in some oregano, too![p]Mike
  • Bordello
    Options
    MikeO,
    Sounds like another great chili recipe. I'm glad you mentioned beer as I was thinking of adding some even if the recipe did not call for it. The ducth over has been in the egg sense 7 this morning. (mountain time)
    New Bob

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    New Bob,
    From the 'day late and a dollar short' category.... you mention adding bell peppers to your version (I do too)..
    Try roasting them by setting right on the coals of the Egg. Let em roast til charred black on all sides, top and bottom, then either put into a brown paper bag or in a bowl with plastic wrap stretched atop the top, in order for them to steam skins loose. Rub the charred skin off, seed and stem and then dice. Adds a special smokey bbq taste within the subtle red and green bell pepper addition....
    Maybe next time.....
    Qfan

• Bordello
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Thank you, sounds great and I should have thought of it as I have cooked bell pepper before. (usually in foil, I know,not good)[p]The chili has been in the Mr. Egg for 7 hours and coming along fine. Next time I will remember your post and am sure it will add more flavor.[p]Cheers,
    New Bob

• tn slagamater
    Options
    BBQfan1, Any chili cooked in Mr. EGG is incredibily improved by the smoke taste Big Green adds. I think it is the beans which absorb the fantastic flavor of the smoke.