Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a Bratwurst idea

Options
Zippylip
Zippylip Posts: 4,768
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a package of bratwurst & wanted to try something different than my usual, which is a pretty standard but not too imaginative putting in a foil pan with a bunch of sliced onion & beer, any suggestions would be appreciated
happy in the hut
West Chester Pennsylvania

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    this looks like what i like but i uce the egg instead of the crock pot

Sausage, Bratwurst, Irish, Myselftokeep

10-15 Bratwurst (Use Pork Only)
    4 Cans Stout beer (Guiness, Murphy's Irish, etc.)
    2 Large white onions
    2 Tbs butter
    2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
    1-2 Cans Cheap Beer (Busch, Bud, etc.) NO LIGHT BEER
    10-15 hot dog buns

*********Preparation Directions********
    1 Slice one onion and chop the other. Throw some slices into crock pot to cover bottom, Throw in 4-5 Brats, Add more slices of onion. Continue until all brats are in the pot. Top off brats with any left over sliced onions.
    2 Pour in 4 cans of Stout beer, Add cheap beer so that brats are submerged, Add in butter and oil. Turn crock pot on low for 6-8 hour cook or high for 3-4 hour cook.
    *********Cooking Directions**********
    1 Remove brats from crock pot. They should be grey and plump. Throw on Egg at 300-350 and let them soak up the smokey flavor and char slightly. Take onions from crock pot and fry. Take brat's off, put them in buns, cover with raw chopped onions, fried onions and mustard.
    ********Special Instructions*********
    1 Serve with beer and any sides you can think of.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat, Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Myselftokeep myselftokeep@earthlink.net

Source: BGE Forum, Myselftokeep, 12/25/05

BGE #368

DSCN0017.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Wrap em in bacon, grill em up, throw em in a bun with grilled onions and grilled peppers (serrano's are nice).

mmmmm....
  • Buxwheat
    Buxwheat Posts: 727
    Options
    Coat the brats in Maple Syrup and grill direct on raised grid at 400 dome temp. Give them a quarter of turn every 5 minutes. Add more syrup when they look like they are drying out. (My son in law from Mass does them this way, so I gave it a try. I still prefer them grilled plain and served on a bun with brown mustard and kraut.)
  • Hot Stuff
    Options
    I grill mine indirect turning occasionally, then put them on a bun with some kraut that has been slowly boiled for a very long time, and ad some hot mustard. Put some pork fat in the kraut for added flavor.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    pork fat is good :woohoo:
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania