Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Margarita

Bjvanm
Bjvanm Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Help, I need a good margarita recipe. Thanks!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i like to add a little sprite to ming not much but enough to add some fizz...

Beverage, Margarita, McGee

I'd like to think that this is the type of margarita that Travis McGee, or my friend Dave (my astronomy teacher), gone almost two years now, would enjoy on a nice relaxing day of the week, no matter the weather, when the Egg is going and the daytime skies will give way to a clear night with Sirius blazing down upon us.

1-1/2 oz Good Tequila: Patron, Cabo Wabo, or the like (not Cuervo)
    1/2 oz Cointreau
    1/4 oz Grand Marnier
    Sweet and Sour Mix
    Lemonade

1 Fill a glass with ice.
    2 Pour tequila and cointreau over ice.
    3 Add a dash of lemonade (cuts the margarita better than anything)
    4 Fill with Sweet and Sour
    5 Float Grand Marnier on top

Recipe Type
    Beverage

Recipe Source
    Author: JoNuggs Email: [email protected]

Source: BGE Forum, JoNuggs, 12/15/05

Best margarita ever!!

Cook whatever you'd like and enjoy this margarita along with it.

Notes: Turn on good music.

Fire up grill.

Make margarita.

Relax and enjoy the drink and the Egg.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Such a waste of good Tequila...
  • using good tequila in a margarita is like cooking a ribeye on a charbroiler.

equal parts of:

inexpensive tequila i.e. cuervo
    triple sec
    sweet & sour mix.

blend with ice.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Kind of like pouring coke into a small batch bourbon. So terribly sad.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    3-2-1

3 parts blue agave tequila
    2 parts Cointreau or Triple Sec
    1 part lime

Roll glass edge in coarse salt and pour in over ice.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    BENTE, that's a great recipe!! I disagree with the other that think it's a waste of good tequila. The better the tequila the smoother the margi. Yum,your recipe makes me want to shake up a batch right now. My recipe is almost the same only we never have used cointrau, only a floater of Grand Marnier. May have to bring a blender to Eggtoberfest. :)
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    I made some really good margaritas a few days ago but by the time I got it just right I started short'n out. Don't have a clue as to what was in the last one but according to Spring Hen it gave me a speech impediment.

Spring "Tarbender For The Hcicken Ranch" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • 4321 Margarita

4 oz premium tequila--at least blanco; reposado better, can even use anejo--Don Julio, Tezon, Patron

3 oz fresh squeezed lime juice

2 oz orange liqueur (Gran Marnier, Cointreau, Gran Torres, Gran Gala--try them straight as they're different)

1 oz sugar syrup (make by dissolving 1-2 cups sugar in 1 cup near boiling water; after sugar dissolves continue stirring for about 5 minutes; do not have to let boil; keep in refrigerator for months)

Combine ingredients with ice in cocktail shaker with ice; shake; strain into salt rimmed (if you want) glass.

Consider keeping tequila in freezer.
    Voila
    Bass1margaritadrink.jpg
  • reelgem
    Speech impedement Spring Chicken!! Hmmmmm. I had a similar thing happen. I got really dizzy too. And I woke up with a concrete sombrero the next morning. We must have similar recipes. :)
  • reelgem
    OMG! That sounds incredible. Seems a bit labor intensive to me though. Are you coming to Eggtoberfest? I'll bring the shaker and ingredients if you make them.

I cheat when I make mine. I use Jose Cuervo mix and add a good tequila (love Patron). I do 2 parts tequilla and 3 parts mix and put a little ice in a blender and pour into a salt rimmed pilsner glass and put a float of Grand Marnier on top and a lime twist. We make a pitcher at a time. I know the hand shaken ones are better, just too much extra work.
  • Try it, you'll like it. And probably abandon your mix.

Most labor intensive is squeezing the limes. I have a hinged tool that gets about 99% of the juice from a half of lime in a few seconds. A good, juicy lime yields about 1 oz of lime juice. Maybe a project for the kids and you can make them limeade with some sugar syrup and club soda as payment.

Unfortunately, I tried using lime juice concentrate diluted, but it didn't work. Maybe there's a way to use a frozen can of limeade and figure out some tasty proportions.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I use the upsidedown margarita method, but in a pitcher. An upside down Margaritta is poured into and mixed your mouth. I'm too old to have someone shaking my head around(except for wifey).

Get 1 large can of minutemaid limeade, empty into the pitcher, add 1 can of water, stir.

Fill can with good tequilla, empty into pitcher, stir.

Fill can with good Triple sec, empty into pitcher, stir.

That's it. Pour over an iced glass.

I don't add sugar to my Margaritas. If I want some sugary, I go to the 7-11 for an icy. Less sugar equals less nasty heaving and hangover too. HTH.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    I completely disagree with those who imply that a margarita is unworthy of good tequila. Good tequila (100% blue agave) is imperative.

Try this recipe. It is absolutely the best I have ever tried. Not inexpensive though.

http://www.ozols.com/margarit.htm
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    I do a very similar recipe, substitute quarter cup of powdered sugar for syrup.

Walt
  • BENTE
    thanks i did not know it was such a hot topic ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    see todd i got hung out as a marter with suggesting that a margiritta should be made with "good" tequila. and you don't ;)

people like you man!!!!!!! :woohoo: :evil:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb