Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Adjustable Rig & Oval Grid

Options
MrJofus
MrJofus Posts: 7
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm planning on buying the adj rig for my large BGE as soon as they're back in stock, but I'm wondering about the oval grid that comes with it. My question is will it stay put inside the 4 vertical brackets, i.e. is it held captive between them? It seems like it might want to slide out similar to the sliding grids feature they sell. The website refers to a 16-1/2" round grid to use inside the brackets, but they don't appear to sell that on the site.

Just looking for some feedback from rig owners using the oval grid. Thanks!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    I bought one oval for each level other than tht top level. Make sure you buy cross bar for each extra level you order.

I quite often use the top plus 1 level sometimes for food and sometimes for a drip pan.

GG
  • dougemsmacks
    Options
    I have that set up an it does stay in place no problems. :)
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    they actually sit on the "rods".... now. they don't move very much on mine... buy them you will not regret it ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Like above they fit fine. Get the 14" pan, it fits perfect in the spider for indirect/ drip pan. I bought the 16 also but haven't had a use for it.
  • Ar-Cee
    Ar-Cee Posts: 105
    Options
    If you plan to build the sliding system, you need the ovals. (I went with the ovals). They are perfect with the bars, with or without sliders. I build most of my cooks on a ceramic table next to the BGE, so once I set my spider and stone on the fire and close the dome my setup of the AR for starting the cook is on the table.
    With the AR on the "hot table", I set the crossbars where I want them, slide in the racks with the food for each level where I want them. (Butts over Ribs, Corn over Chicken, etc). I pick uf the AR with the cook on it and drop it "on the fire".

You can get full circle grids from Egg Accesories that can be used on all levels of the adjustable, but, you HAVE to take off every level above the one you want to get to the one you want.

Even without the Sliding feature installed, the Oval Grids are helpful when changing out food.

My method (wearing gloves) is to pull the entire AR with meat, drip pans, etc. and put it on the "hot table" and close the dome (so the fire doesn't run away).
    I can then pull what I want, re-configure what I want, sauce what I want and then open the dome and drop the AR with the entire cook back into the egg. With the ovals and sliding grid system I can pull the top levels without even pulling the AR. Too cool for words.

Note that the spider with the pizza stone is sitting under the cook while I am doing all this. So I can actually set 4 working levels with the extender (I regularly use three).

Thanks to the folks at EggAccesories for making stuff that really works. rc
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    We quit carrying the 16.5 grid. It's basicaly a duplication of the oval grid but won't slide and comes up a bit short on size for ribs. It was a good idea at first but not so much now, I guess. Feel free to email me if you have other questions. acgpinc@charter.net

thanks again to all for the positive feedback. tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • MrJofus
    MrJofus Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks Tom and all for the responses. I'm looking forward to getting my adj rig! -Kevin
  • momcooks
    momcooks Posts: 247
    Options
    This is a great gadget. I often just leave the frame in so I can raise up stuff to keep warm. I just recently bought the glider part, haven't used it yet. I have 3 of the grids now.