Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rubbing alcohol success

Options
gtalvola
gtalvola Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last time I tried it, it failed to light the lump. This time, it worked great! 2 things were different:

1) I used Natures Own Basques lump instead of the Wicked Good lump I was having so much trouble with.

2) I concentrated the alcohol in about an 8 inch wide circle instead of spreading it out over a larger area.

Comments

• 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    What % was alcohol? It should be 93% for the best results.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    What % was alcohol? It should be 93% for the best results.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I made the switch from the MAPP torch method a while back and now there are no burns on my shirts or holes in my arms! I find that a simple, $2.50 marinade injector works grate for applying your liquid of choice (I use 91% isopropyl). Here's the video for those who haven't seen it (watch both parts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWZUrtaEb-U&feature=related
    Happy fire-making, it gives you a nice glow!
  • Signal 99
    Options
    Thanks for your update. I too experienced difficulties lighting the charcoal(Royal Oak)when using rubbing alcohol.:( I'll use your approach next time. 407BGE is right, 93% rubbing alcohol is the way to go.
    ~HOPE~ is wishing something would happen. ~FAITH~ is believing something will happen. ~COURAGE~ is making something happen......
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Sometimes people get anxious to get the fire started. Wicked Good is a little hard to start but, if you're willing to try a couple of different ways to start it you will find it burns hotter, has a longer burn time and produces little ash.

First method: (I used it for years) The starter cubes place them at 12 o'clock, 4 and 8 and once they are lit and burning place a few pieces of lump tent style over the burning cubes. For a low and slow use one in the center and tent in the same fashion.

Second method: Twist a paper towel up and put a little olive oil on it. (You don't need to soak it)Then tent as you would have on the cube method.

Third method: Get yourself a MAPP torch. That's what I use now and have for the last three years. General cook light in three or four places low and slow in the middle.

Once you get the knack of lighting WG you'll use it all of the time. I have a shed that has Competition Blend and Weekend Warrior stacked all around the equipment.

About a year ago a guy that borrowed a bag of WW replaced it with another brand and the only reason I may use it is if I'm flat out of Wicked Good and we're in the middle of a blizzard. The stuff grows on you.
  • lisaaron
    lisaaron Posts: 12
    Options
    I've used the alcohol method for the past couple of weeks now, and it works perfectly!

Make sure the lower vent is wide open. I left the guru adapter on it last time (without the plug on it, of course), and it didn't light nearly as well.

Aaron
  • WileECoyote
    Options
    I have been lighting my WGC for many months with 91% alcohol as shown in my video and never have any trouble. I do keep it concentrated in an 8" ring around the center and make sure to get most of it down inside the lump by about 1" and it works fine.

I do think it is important to start with properly stacked lump and a clean egg on the first light, always keep your bottom and top vents wide open, then for each future light I don't stir the lump or do anything at all. This ensures that air will flow through the egg very quickly when you first light it, which is important otherwise the alcohol burns slowly and there won't be as much heat released within a set timeframe.