Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's a good sauce for fish?

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have grilled fish a few times and always felt that a sauce would make it a little better. Usually I grill grouper, red snapper, tonight it's halibut. We like the lighter, less "fishy" choices.[p]Anyone have a good, simple sauce they would recommend?[p]Bob

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    WudEyeDoo, How about a fruit salsa instead of a sauce. I often make the following recipe using mangoes.[p]SIMPLE PEACH SALSA
    Makes about 3 cups
    If you don't have peaches, you can substitute a number of other
    yellow-orange fruits, including mangoes, pineapples, and
    papaya.
    2 ripe but not mushy peaches, pitted and chopped coarse
    1 small red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and sliced thin
    1 small red onion, cut into long, thin slices
    cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    1 medium clove garlic, minced
    cup pineapple juice
    6 tablespoons juice from 3 medium limes
    1 jalapeño or other medium hot chile pepper, minced
    Salt and ground black pepper
    Mix all ingredients, including salt and pepper to taste, in
    medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 1
    hour or up to 4 days.[p]Bone appétit! JCA

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    here is one that was made to go with the Jerked Grouper:
    Keylime Papaya Jam:
    Combine
    2 cups fresh papaya with skin off (may substitute other fleshy fruits such as nectarine, peach, apricot or guava for this)
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup Keylime juice
    1/4 cup water
    Simmer mixture while whisking off and on for 30-45 minutes until jam is thickened and smooth.
    Refrigerate until use.

• Animal Eater
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Roasted Red Bell Pepper
    One medium pepper makes enough for two servings and this sauce is ideal for firm white fish like Halibut, Sword or even Albacore.
    Quarter (lengthwise) and de-seed a ripe red bell pepper and roast it to a state of blackness on your grill before you get ready to grill the fish. Cremate this pepper man, I mean it, black all around. Oh, yeah, skin side toward the coals. Once blackened, place the pepper quarters in a plastic produce bag and tie the top in a knot. Leave plenty of room inside; think "steam". After five minutes or so, the skin will peel right off. Place the skinless roasted peppers in a food processor (the smaller the processor the better in this case) and add:
    1 TBSP of good olive oil
    2-3 cloves garlic (I usually roast it a little in the olive oil to bring out the sweetness)
    1 TBSP or so of either mayonnaise or sour cream or a combo
    1 or 2 anchovies
    salt and pepper to taste
    Sometimes I add a little cayenne if she isn’t looking.
    Blend until smooth and spoon over your grilled fishes.[p]

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    Here's a very simple one. I think it came from the Williams and Sonoma catalogue. Get a standard falafel mix, follow the box instructions about adding water to make a paste. Put the falafel mix on one side of a fish fillet (not salmon). Saute the fillet with the mix-side down until the falafel is cooked, about five minutes, flip and finish the fillet in 3-5 minutes. If the falafel mix isn't hot enough, add your favorite hot sauce to the mix before coating the fish fillet. This usually is done in a saute pan. It could be done on a veggie grill with small holes to support the fish fillet.