Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tonight's Tri-Tip And Artichoke

Options
Boxerpapa
Boxerpapa Posts: 989
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
329540232.jpg
329540223.jpg
329540200.jpg
329540191.jpg
329540180.jpg
329540169.jpg
329540145.jpg
This was the left over juice from the little tri-tip I cooked.

Comments

• JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Nice!! The grill pic is great. Did you cook the choke? Can't tell in the pic.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great job! I love artichokes but can't figure how to eat them.
  • Egglicious
    Egglicious Posts: 150
    Options
    Now that looks yummy!!! I have not tried a tri-tip but its looks very good. What kind of rub did you use and how did you cook it. Looks like you seared first. Wonder if a tri-tip would be good to cook at a beef cookoff?

js
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    I used sea salt, cracked black pepper, then Trexed the roast. After I pulled in the initial sear, a dumped some Raising The Steaks on it and rested while the temperature of the Egg got down to about 400. Put 'er back on and cooked until the internal temp. was 135, and rested for 20 minutes. Also used oak for smoke. (thought I was a poet, but didn't know it)

Yes, tri-tip would be an excellent cut for a beef cook off. Has lots of flavor. Here in California, tri-tip is as popular as brisket is in Texas. Morro Bay Rich has an excellent recipe for Santa Maria tri-tip posted on the Eggs By The Bay website.
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    Big'un wrote:
    Great job! I love artichokes but can't figure how to eat them.

OK. Am I going to set myself up if I answer this Q? Pull the leaves off, dip them in melted butter, mayo, ranch dressing...etc and scrape of the meat at the ends of the leaves with your teeth. Once you have eaten the leaves, all you have left is the heart. Scrape off all hair on top of the heart and throw that down your gut.

Artichokes are my second favorite vegetable next to tobacco.
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    yes, the artichoke is cooked, but not on the Egg, rather on the stove top. I steamed it for about fifty minutes. It was a larger than life artichoke.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Man, as kids on my Granddaddy's farm, we sure tied a lot of tobacco, I think I'll have to try the artichoke instead. Is there a sure fire way to test if it's done on the grill?
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Options
    That looks great. Where the heck did you buy your artichoke? You must live in Calif! I've been trying to buy chokes for weeks now at my son's request. No luck at all and I've never not been able to get an articoke! Looks like he'll be going off to college next week without his choke dinner. Hope they serve them in the cafeteria. :laugh:

We like the leaves dipped in garlic mayo.

At our local farmer's market, there's a guy doing santa maria style tri tip (not very good, imo) and he also que's up chokes. First he steams/boils them, then cuts them in half and sprinkles them with a really good herb mix, then puts the cut sides down on the grill for a few minutes. I bought his herb mix and was planning to try it on the Egg if ever I can find those elusive artichokes!
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    That looks like a great meal. If you want a change of pace with the artichoke, try steaming or boiling till almost done (35-40 min), cut in half, clean out the fuzzy "choke" part, dip in Italian salad dressing, or a lemon/ butter mix or your own favorite marinade, then place cut side down direct for a few minutes (5 or so), turn over, add a bit more marinade and cook a couple more minutes.
    If you get the small chokes, you can do something similar, but quarter and grill both flat sides and serve as an appetizer.
    Quite popular here in Nor Cal.
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    I'm surprised and/or naive that you can't find artichokes at your local grocery store. I grew up (physically) about thirty minutes from the artichoke capitol of the world, so artichokes to me is like grits to a southerner. Anyway, here's a link to where you could get 'em: http://www.pezzinifarms.com/index.cfm/Artichokes_Gifts_2.htm
  • Boxerpapa
    Options
    Ya know, I tried something very similiar. Except I used olive oil and cheese. Next time I will try soaking it in Itilian dressing and throw it back on the Egg. Thanks. BTW...where in the East Bay are you? Originally from Morgan Hill, now near Sacto.
  • East Bay Al
    Options
    I'm in the Walnut Creek area. Born in Salinas, a few years in Watsonville, then the folks moved us up to Oregon. Been back in Cal a long time. I like the weather in the East Bay best of them all- probably similar to Sacto.
    Al