Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I Max a Mini?

Options
bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Clay Q and Bill seem to have loads of info and pics about the Mini. I have a new Mini on its way and one of the things I have found out is that there is not a lot of Eggessories. I see some of the home made items like plate setters from soap stone. If anyone has any ideas for the different set ups for the mini, please post them. Thanks for your help.
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Has anyone ever tried tera cotta for plate setters?
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    I don't think it will handle heat over time.

Ealt
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    thought about it and wondered if there might be lead or other stuff in the clay???? was going to try a porcelain tile bit wondered about the glaze ???
  • Old Salt
    Old Salt Posts: 357
    Options
    I've been using a flower pot saucer covered with foil for the last few indirect cooks. Quite a few on the Weber WSM forum use them without any problem.
  • Hot Stuff
    Options
    I have been using unglazed quarry tiles in my electric oven for years....nine unglazed 6 inch quarry tiles placed right on the rack makes a great pizza stone. I have been using the same nine tiles for almost 15 years with hundreds of cooks at temps around 500 degrees and they are still in good shape. I have made it to 60 years old so there must not be much of a health hazzard to using them.... the pizza cookbook that suggested using them said to be sure they are unglazed. The six inch tile appears to fit a mini just right to make a plate setter and allows enough air flow around it to work properly, althought i haven't tried it out yet. Put the tile on the firebox, and then the fire ring on it, and then the grill on top of that.