Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Oil on egg

InksmythInksmyth Posts: 308
edited 11:04AM in EggHead Forum
I have seen pics of pan frying in oil on the egg.
How is this done? Lid closed? Seems that this would be a potential hazard.

Comments

• Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    It is a hazard - approach with extreme caution. I've done it once....clearly lacking the mad skills needed! ;)
  • Car Wash MikeCar Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    It is. I won't say who, but a famous tool maker from San Antonio ( :woohoo: ) had a huge problem one time.
    You had better be real eggsperienced. You going to Springfield?

Mike
  • BrocBroc Posts: 1,398
    Be Strongly Cautioned...

Maybe you need to be admitted to Dix Hill Cultinary School before attempting...

~ B

:ermm: B) :whistle:
  • My opinion oil and eggs should not mix for deep frying! JD
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    I fry/cook shrimp in oil about once a week in a wok. ATTENDED and with very little oil in the wok. This only takes a few minutes however.

Deep frying with the lid closed sounds like a potential bomb to me however.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Something worse than Flashback? I think so.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,124
    as others have warned that's a bad idea and in that same vein of thinking there a nice older bearded bib-overall-wearing gent from Indiana (Old Dave) who doesn't post here anymore darn near burnt his home down when the grease from a lot of bacon he was egging caught on fire after nearly exploding. Remember the best safety device is between your ears!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,377
    I do snapper in a deep cast iron dutch oven maybe 1 1/2" of oil. I keep the lid close by and have a Co2 fire extinguisher handy. It isn't the safest way to fry but neither is oil on a range.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Ain't nothing like Co2 on your fish
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,377
    Better than the dry chemical ones. They taste really bad.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• InksmythInksmyth Posts: 308
    I don't think I can. Other people at work already have that time off.
  • InksmythInksmyth Posts: 308
    I think I'll take your advice and not try the oil thing. Your advice has probably save much facial hair.