Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Texas Sweet vs Vidiala

DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
edited 10:25AM in EggHead Forum
Texas sweet is hard to come by in Maryland but when I get my hooks on them they seem sweeter than the Vidiala. Is it just me that I think that way?Seems like the Vidiala gets all of the press.

• WADougWADoug Posts: 191
    I live near Walla Walla, my sister lives in GA, my parents in TX. Been able to have the real local onions in each of those areas. The best I've had were TX onions. They have many, very sweet.
  • DarnocDarnoc Posts: 2,661
    Thank you for the heads up.You are lucky to have both at your finger tips.At least I know that my taste buds are in working order because I do give the Texas Sweet a ten point edge over that from Georgia.IN A BURGER WITH ALL OF THE EXTRA STUFF THAT IS PUT ON YOU MIGHT NOT BE ABLE TO TELL A DIFFERENCE.BUT I LIKE A OLD TIME FAVORITE RAW ONION ON RYE BREAD WITH NOTHING MORE THAN SALT,PEPPER,AND BUTTER.
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    I've had both to compare and I think that it depends on what year. I've had times that the vidalias are sweeter than the the Texas sweets and vice versa. It also depends on the size of the onions too. The larger onions are more mild. Either way, they both are good
  • KeithwwKeithww Posts: 62
    One year the guy that won the Vidiala onion contest was disqualified for using Texas 1015 seeds. Truthfully Noonday and Vidiala onions are great. Mayan Sweets, Wala Wala, and Maui's are all real good. But for an onion that will taste good planted in any soil it is hard to beat a 1015