Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table and Hinge

Options
BeerBQ
BeerBQ Posts: 119
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finalizing my table and after outting egg in hole, I am unable to open the top all the way do to the hinge rubbing against the table. I can obviously raise the egg until it clears with a paver stone, but I would prefer to cut a few notches in the table. Does anyone have any links to folks who have cutout the table to allow the hinge to open fully so I can see how much work is ahead?

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Check out Wess B's site. He has lots and lots of photos.

http://www.wessb.com/Table/table.htm
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I am in the process of doing the same thing myself. All I can tell you right now is that you will need more space than you think. I cut out a slot that I thought was big enough re-installed the egg, TG for the Pot Lifter, and ended up with the ol' Dremel Moto-tool to make further adjustments. Still needs a little work to fit the way I want.
    EggTable-1.jpg
    This is a pre-egg and pre-slot foto.

Will send pics if I ever get it right.
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I did the same thing. Cut notches but still not enough room for hinges to clear.. I have a granite insert level with the bottom self. I bought 3 cheap terra cotta plant feet at Home Depot and set them under the egg and it raised it higher than the BGE feet. I use the BGE feet for indirect cooks.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Here is a pick of the notch in the stainless top that will be installed after refinishing the wood table.

100_1660.jpg
  • FlaMike
    FlaMike Posts: 648
    Options
    Here's mine. Didn't plan it right from the start, so these cuts were an afterthought. Not so pretty, but it's the back, and who's lookin?

EggTable04.jpg

Good luck
  • BeerBQ
    BeerBQ Posts: 119
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies. I am still trying to figure this mess out. I would rather cut the table to allow space for the hinge rather than mess with buying a paver stone to lift it up. I spent quite some time trying to counter sink my granite. I would hate to cover it up with a paver. Not sure of the clearance I need. I may not have a choice.