Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crispy chicken skin

Options
gjl531
gjl531 Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Love cooking chicken on the egg. It's amazingly flavorful and juicy, but the skin is typically a bit rubbery for my taste. Any tips on achieving crispy chicken skin on the egg?

Comments

• obstructionist
    Options
    So far I have cooked exactly once on my new Egg -- it was a roast chicken, and the skin was nice and crispy.

I used an inverted plate setter, and cooked for about 90 minutes at 450F (or so).

First time lucky, I guess. :)
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Try leaving the chicken uncovered in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours until the skin dries. Then oil the skin and roast the chicken at a reasonably high temperature like 400 degrees and it should come out very crispy. The skin will look funky once it dries out (that's how you know it is truly dry) but it will turn out wonderfully.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    no liquid in the drip pan and either start or finish higher than 350
    this was my first chicken ...pre any eggcessories.
    cooked it just like in the oven preheat 450° put in chicken reduce temp to 350° done when the thingy pops up.
    chicken.jpg
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    DSCN3372.jpg
    Chicken indirect platesetter feet up drip pan, no oil on skin.
    DSCN3374.jpg
    500* for one hour.
    DSCN3376.jpg
    Perfect crispy skin and moist inside
    Ross
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Do what the Whiz said, ALWAYS do what he Whiz says, and try adding a little rub. I always do chicken over 400 degs. and skin is always crispy.
    GhickenPotatoesOnions.jpg
  • PedroWuzHere
    Options
    Poke some holes in the skin with a fork or skewer, then mix cornstarch with your rub before you apply to the chicken. The cornstarch helps fry the skin, while the rest just bakes