Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stuffed Frito's

dls2122dls2122 Posts: 66
edited 12:53PM in EggHead Forum
Last night I made stuffed frito's as per the posting from "Frank in Houma" a couple days ago. My wife didn't want to try them because raw hamburger touched the chip. The logic that the chip was also cooked didn't do too much to convince her. What changed her mind was how my kids at these like they were candy. She finally gave in. We not have a new family favorite app (replacing deep fried motz sticks!).

I don't see he's online right now but I want to send a "cyber thanks" at to Frank for this wonderful idea.

Don
·

Comments

• Glad you enjoyed them.
    ·
  • Any harm in starting with cooked taco meat? We usually make a large batch because the kids can have soft tacos, nachos, etc for lunches.
    ·
  • dls2122dls2122 Posts: 66
    Not sure. I guess you'd just cook it less time to avoid it drying out. I'm new to all this so not the best to offer advice. It was great as written - that's about all I feel qualified to say.
    ·
  • motsolmotsol Posts: 16
    where can i find this receipe?
    ·
  • motsolmotsol Posts: 16
    where can i find this receipe?
    ·
  • Here it is:

Stuffed Fritos
    1 lb 93% lean ground beef
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 packet of taco seasoning
    4 Tbs. of salsa

Mix the above together
    Stuff is Frito scoops
    Cook indirect at 350 until they reach an internal temp of 160
    Squeeze some sour cream and guacamole on the Stuffed Fritos after they come off the Egg

Hint: Fill a ziplock bag with the sour cream or guacamole and cut a small hole in the corner to use it as a squeeze bag.

101_2913800x600.jpg

101_2917800x600.jpg

Have some left over stuffing because you ate too many of the fritos? :evil:

Scoop out a few potatoes and stuff them
    101_2919800x600.jpg
    ·
  • Grillin GuyGrillin Guy Posts: 302
    I know the receipe says to cook indirect, but the picture looks like you cooked it direct. Which way is best?
    ·
  • I did them direct and they were fine - mostly because my platesetter is in four pieces. :S Even though I didn't have any, I think it would be better to do them indirect to avoid and flare ups.
    ·
    Yep - this is the posting that got me interested. Frank, thank you again and you mention you got it from someone else - so credit where it due - thank you to them also - although your pictures hookied me in. Making htem again tomorrow.

Don
    ·
    I cooked mine direct because that was the picture. Didn't even think to question it. Loved them that way. However, I'll try them indirect tomorrow and I'll let you all know which way I liked better.
    ·