Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Granite Piece

Options
BoneDaddy's
BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I want to use a granite piece under my egg to handle the heat and a matching piece on top for a hot plate. My question is, is the 1/4 inch piece you can get at HD or Lowe's for $5 thick enogh for under the egg? Maybe 2 piece with a small spacer?

Also, for the under piece is 12x12 or 12x16 preferred
Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I'm not an expert, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I'd be worried about the heat. I vaguely remember reading that you shouldn't put hot pots/pans on a granite work surface in the kitchen? However, I know a few people have used granite, based on photos I've seen here, so some of them should speak up soon and tell you their experience.
    The Naked Whiz
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i vote no. for under the egg. i suspect that the peice under the egg will crack form just the weight of the egg unless it is set in mortar. . go to the local granite counter top place the have great scraps that they throw out , the pieces they cut out for sinks are perfect size for your egg
  • ccbassking
    ccbassking Posts: 71
    Options
    Granite will take the heat. The hot plate should be fine. I'd double up on the bottom pieces and use your feet that came with the egg for the air gap. You can also check with a local stone fabricator for a remnant piece. Black granite is one of the strongest (chemistry labs worldwide)so if they have that in 12x16 go for it. It could still crack over time but at $5 or $6 easily replaced. HTH
  • DynaGreaseball
    DynaGreaseball Posts: 1,409
    Options
    I have a friend who sells it. She advises that if it's at least 1-1/4" thick (3 cm), it won't crack from putting hot plates directly on the surface. And no need to worry about the surface color or texture either...she says we can't burn rock. lol. Hope this helps
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    I believe that the warnings about hot pots, etc. on granite counters are valid, in that they can change the appearance of the stone. It's not that it really affects the stone, but it affects the sealer that is put on the stone. Appearance shouldn't be much of an issue in your application.
  • BoneDaddy's
    BoneDaddy's Posts: 257
    Options
    I will check the granite supplier for a thicker piece for the base and I will go with the $5 stuff for a hot plate for now...i will see what happens
    Bone Daddy's Competition BBQ & Catering
  • ccbassking
    ccbassking Posts: 71
    Options
    Did I mention that I.m in the business (35 yrs and have had granite in my kitchen for 15 yrs (just for the record)and put hot pots on it all the time. The stone conducts the heat away rapidly. Stone will also conduct cold away rapidly (nice way to defrost something) just my $.02
  • Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I'm also in the business and granite will take the heat, but it also won't take the heat. Every piece is unique. Lighter colors and Uba Tuba (cheap green) are more porous than darker colors/blacks. If water or liguid gets in the pores/ fissures of the stone and then a hot pot (ie dutch oven) is placed directly on the area the water/ steam has nowhere to go and could cause a crack or tiny micro fissures that over time will dull the stones surface. I have heard a million stories of people successfully putting hot and cold on there tops for years without any damage. I have also heard stories of someone putting a hot pot on their stone within the first week after install and it cracking. As with all surface material trivets are stongly recommended for hot pots and cutting. Soapstone is inert and nonporous stone and is ideal surface material that can really take a lot of heat and chemicals (think lab tables in high school) and is strongly recommended in high heat. applications
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Just something to consider - I took my Egg to an event this past weekend, and brought a 2" thick 18 X 18 paver along to use as a base to avoid scorching the grass. I did a short high-temp cook the 1st night, then a 3 hour cook at 350 the next night. When I packed up, sure enough, the grass was still scorched under the paver. Not sure if the same would happen under your granite slab, or if this would be hot enough to damage the table under it, but something to think about.

-John