Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reducing Heat

Options
thailandjohn
thailandjohn Posts: 952
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What is the fastest way to reduce the temp?

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Shut both vents and wait.
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    I tried that and it took forever because the egg holds the heat so well.

I also tried just closing the bottom and opening to top all the way to vent out the heat but that also too a long time.

I am not sure if lowering the heat can be done fast.

Thanks for your imput
  • Marvelous
    Marvelous Posts: 70
    Options
    Just did steaks last nite I only waited about two min shut the vents and di each side abour 45 sec they were absolutlt perfect my guestrs raved about these and alsso called back today and repeated same I am not going to wait anymore last time I did the steaks were just warm people usually like them hotter any questions just ask
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    Thanks,
    I should have mentioned that I wanted to lower the temp from about 275 degrees down to 225 degrees and this was taking a long time
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    No quick way to do it.....

From 600 down to 350 is pretty quick, from there down it takes time....lots of time.
  • dls2122
    dls2122 Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm a new egg cooker and by no means any kind of expert, but I found throwing it in the swimming pool worked real well. Okay you caught me, just kidding.

I also, being new, had a problem of overshooting the target temp (these things are QUICK) and had to wait and wait for it to drop. It's good to see that I'm not the only one and that waiting really is the best answer.

I do have to say - everything is so good - it really is worth the wait. I am already completely addicted to my egg. I've used it every night for the 11 days I've had it (and a couple lunches). I see there is an eggfest in Oswego, IL that is about 2 1/2 hours away and I'm seriously thinking about going. What better way to learn about the new obsession I have?!?
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    Sorry that I was so cavalier with my answer, but that is the only way to cool her down. After a while you will get the handle of temp control. The best thing to do is start adjusting the vents before you hit your target temp. When you are about 50 degrees below where you want, start closing it some. What I did one saturday when the egg was new, I just loaded it up and fiddled with the vents all day. A few hours of my time, and a little charcoal spent, and I learned a lot.