Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I doning this right?

Options
Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am not removing the firering when I do indirect cooks.... should I be?
-Joel

Comments

• nikkig
    nikkig Posts: 514
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    We never remove the firering for indirect cooks. Leave the grate where it is, put your fire bricks or plate setter then the drip pan, then put another grate on top. Have 14 pounds of butt cooking tonight, can't wait for dinner tomorrow![p]~nikki

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]I used to remove the fire ring to do indirect cooks, but it's really not necessary. As nikkig points out, you can easily do indirect cooks higher in the dome of the Egg. The only thing you need to consider is that your dome thermometer isn't touching the food.[p]Removing the fire ring for an indirect cook does make it more viable to do a 2 layer indirect cook. With fire bricks down within the fire ring, along with the drip pan, you can easily have two layers of grill grids for cooking. This would be useful for large batches of jerky, ribs, butts, briskets, etc. Of course, tending the fire is tricky, and thus it might not be perfect for a 20+ hour brisket cook.[p]--sdb