Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Sear - can\'t get past 400 degrees!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm trying my first sear - turned over my charcoal, made sure the holes aren't blocked. Vents have been wide open for almost an hour, but the temp is stuck at around 400. (We are also having a bit of a rainstorm, and I have no cover for the daisy wheel.)

I have never tried to get the fire over 400 before but I'm a little concerned the temp isn't rising. Have I built the fire wrong? Charcoal is up and covering the side air holes and it would appear (I peeked) that only the core of the charcoal is glowing - what do I do to get things going?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Two things come to mind. The large opening in the bottom of the firebox is not lined up with the bottom vent or you don't have enough lump in the egg.

Regardless of whether you are doing a lo and slow or a hot and fast you should always fill the firebox up to the level of the fire ring.

If you have that daisy wheel on the temp will not get up to 600 degrees. Rain or not rain take the daisy wheel off.
  • Unknown
    Options
    opening and the vent are lined up - probablyl 90 percent plus.

I'm taking the wheel off - thanks so much...
  • Stanley
    Stanley Posts: 623
    Options
    FWIW, I've gone over 700° w/ daisy wheel on (wide open) my MBGE.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    how long have you been cooking on this egg??? you may have ash build up between the egg and the fire box?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    There are always exceptions to every rule..
  • Chef Charles
    Chef Charles Posts: 871
    Options
    One weekend when I was having some people over for a BBQ, I was having trouble keeping temperatures at the desired levels as we had a series of thunderstorms with some rather nasty downpours. Realizing that water is not a fire's best friend, I went to the local hardware store and got one of those chimney caps. It fits like a charm!

NewRainCap.jpg

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    just curious - what size egg?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    lose the daisy. and next time more lump
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Unknown
    Options
    I have had the same same problem. 99.9% of the time it is due to air flow. Sounds dumb, but I grap the hair dryer and the problem is solved>
  • stike
    Options
    that "type a" hairdryer thing won't last long.

p a t i e n c e, grasshopper.
  • stike
    Options
    yeah. just takes more time.

i had the daisy on the egg tonight intending to hold it at 500 or so, and i inadvertantly bumped it open. when i came back it was at 700. but it took a while.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Massive thanks to Celtic Wolf - he nailed it. With the daisy wheel off it soared to 650+ in a very very short period of time.

The steak was delicious, but a little rare for my wife's taste - adjustments will be done in future. But I was very relieved that the (large) egg is able to bring the heat when needed!

Again - thanks to all.
  • stike
    Options
    remember, the egg doesn't overcook or undercook things.

(welcome aboard)
  • Trailblazer1229
    Options
    I bought a battery powered fan for my dog's crate at petsmart. it is plastic and hangs on the crate. She doesn't like the noise it makes, so I brought it outside. I place it infornt of the bottom vent. It stands up on its and lines up perfectly with the vent. i turn that bad boy on and force a whole bunch of air in there when I am starting it up. Works like a charm.
  • Unknown
    Options
    What size egg, i have both a large and a medium the large goes to 700 within about 30 mins. The medium will not go above 450 which is a bother to me.