Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Spreading the love this Valentine’s Day with your EGG? Virginia Willis’ three course menu is perfect for a date night! February is also National Chocolate Lover’s Month, so don’t feel guilty if you’ve been cooking a little more dessert than usual on your EGG. If you’re looking for something a little more savory than chocolate, try some Roasted Chicken Flatbread or Pork Tenderloin with Honey Mustard.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and the Culinary Center too!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Hinge types?

AggieSmokerAggieSmoker Posts: 6
edited 9:10AM in EggHead Forum
Alright guys, quick question before I make any mistakes I can't fix. I'm building Whiz's table and I'm trying to figure out the distance between the upper frame and the lower frame. He calls it dimension "X". Anyway, dimension X is supposed to be 15" for a Large Egg with a spring hinge or 17" for a Large with Autolock hinge. The problem is my egg isn't at my house so I don't know which one it has. I just bought it last week if that helps. What is the standard hinge?

Comments

• "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    If you just bought it new,it will have the spring hinge ;)
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    The autolock hinge hasn't been sold in several years so unless your dealer has no turnover, you've got the spring hinge (which, curiously, has springs - you might remember seeing them.)
  • I haven't taken it out of the box yet so I haven't seen the hinges. Thanks for the tip though.
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    I used the same plans, and thought I had it spot on. However, when it was all done, I thought the egg sat too high avove the hole , and decided to lower it. I had to cut some notches for the hinges, but if you plan ahead, better than I did, you might get better a better result.

EggTable04.jpg

See, the egg would have been higher if I didn't do the cut outs.

Good Luck, hope this helps.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 17,412
    Nice looking table for a guy who obviously likes to screw around! :P :laugh: :woohoo:
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • I'm using a granite top that's already been cut with the hole, so maybe next time I guess. Thanks for the input though.
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    Couldn't have done it before power drills. (How did they ?)