Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Hinge types?

AggieSmokerAggieSmoker Posts: 6
edited 2:10AM in EggHead Forum
Alright guys, quick question before I make any mistakes I can't fix. I'm building Whiz's table and I'm trying to figure out the distance between the upper frame and the lower frame. He calls it dimension "X". Anyway, dimension X is supposed to be 15" for a Large Egg with a spring hinge or 17" for a Large with Autolock hinge. The problem is my egg isn't at my house so I don't know which one it has. I just bought it last week if that helps. What is the standard hinge?

• "Sparky""Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    If you just bought it new,it will have the spring hinge ;)
  • HaggisHaggis Posts: 998
    The autolock hinge hasn't been sold in several years so unless your dealer has no turnover, you've got the spring hinge (which, curiously, has springs - you might remember seeing them.)
  • I haven't taken it out of the box yet so I haven't seen the hinges. Thanks for the tip though.
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    I used the same plans, and thought I had it spot on. However, when it was all done, I thought the egg sat too high avove the hole , and decided to lower it. I had to cut some notches for the hinges, but if you plan ahead, better than I did, you might get better a better result.

See, the egg would have been higher if I didn't do the cut outs.

Good Luck, hope this helps.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,779
    Nice looking table for a guy who obviously likes to screw around! :P :laugh: :woohoo:
    Dunlap, IL
  • I'm using a granite top that's already been cut with the hole, so maybe next time I guess. Thanks for the input though.
  • FlaMikeFlaMike Posts: 648
    Couldn't have done it before power drills. (How did they ?)