Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip pan for XL??

Options
mattm
mattm Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
New egger here...too much free time since I got the BGE...no more adding wood every hour...no more anxiety over low and slow cooking temps...no more mad dashes to the store for more, and more, and more charcoal...the BGE is making me lazy.

Question...I have the XL and with the platre setter there is no place for a drip pan. I am doing a brisket and wondering what others do. I think I can get the grill extender but just wondering if I am setting things up correctly?

BTW This is a great forum and was extremely helpful in my decision to get the BGE. Had it for a few weeks and it is getting a workout...I call it the "BGE Combine".

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Put the platesetter in between the fire ring and fire box and you can make one out of heavy duty foil or use a thin pizza pan.
    Larry
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    If you have a strong enough drip pan,you can set the grid ot top of that.18" diameter is the perfect size for the XL plate setter.Like YB said,you can also put the plate setter under the fire ring.The only downside to this is less lump capacity.This is really not a problem though unless you'll be cooking for more than 20 hours or so ;)
  • mattm
    mattm Posts: 56
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys...Got the BGE a few weeks ago and lovin it!
  • CaptGrumpy
    CaptGrumpy Posts: 58
    Options
    I use a 1/4 pan cooking sheet front a restaurant supply. You can use cookie baking pans as well. I just did 2 butts and a 9 pound brisket and the pan held it all!
    P1010052.jpg

For ribs, I use a pizza pan.