Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - NYC Navigation

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's the scoop. Coming into LGA early afternoon. Have to be in Tarrytown that evening. Spend the night somewhere. Leaving out of JFK (need to be there around noon).

My theory is to book hotel by JFK, go from LGA to hotel when we arrive and drop everything. Dress for Sat night (no big deal). Take train to Tarrytown, see show, take train BACK to hotel. Be close to JFK to leave in the morning.

If that theory sounds plausible, what is the best way to get LGA to JFK on a Sat afternoon???

Other theory is to lug suitcases to Tarrytown, sleep there, lug back manana. No matter what, this is a pain.

mShark

Comments

• CT Grillguy
    Options
    Not a fun situation!

It just is a decision between getting up really early for your flight out or going to bed really really late the night before.

If you stay in Tarrytown, you gotta get up super early to make it to JFK. If you stay in NYC, you won't get to your hotel until really really late.

If you get an express, the train ride is a little under an hour. So, I would probably go directly to Tarrytown (cab it to Grand Central from the airport), cab it to a hotel, check into a hotel, clean up, eat dinner, and do your thing that evening, have a couple of drinks afterward and check in for the night. Then the next day is the only day that sucks! You'll have to get up very early to make it to JFK. Some hotels provide transportation to the NYC airports, so check that out first.

Good luck!
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Don't really have to get up that early to make it to JFK. The flight isn't until 2:30 and, being international, figure we'll get there noonish. So even leaving the hotel around 9 should give us time for breakfast, the train in, and to JFK by noon. Have done the NYC/Tarrytown a zillion times, so that doesn't bug me...just is zilch to do there. I guess what I need to figure is the best way to get from LGA to JFK and then decide.

mSharque
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Limo!!

Tell them where you are and what time you need to be where and they will tell you WHEN they will pick you up to ensure your arrival on time.

Safe Journey!!
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    I think if you have a rented car its easy enough (by NYC standards.) You leave La Guardia via the Grand Central Parkway and it "joins" I-678 (the Van Wyck Expressway) just south of Forest Hills. I-678 goes straight to Kennedy. Basically you are going from the north side of Long Island to the southside.

If you don't have a car, check (in advance) for limos that make that trip - there are likely plenty of them since its gotta be a common trip.

But its a pain to go up to Tarrytown and back from there.

I applaud your intention to spend the night next to Kennedy - you'll feel much better for your international trip by doing it that way.
  • mollyshark
    Options
    Ya. I think we'll just do it the soft way and take a limo or a cab from LGA to JFK. Thought I could explore new territory, but with a 10-1/2 hr trip the next day, maybe I'll play it safe!

Tanx.

mShark
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Your lucky since the Mets will not be playing until Sat. night so that will ease the traffic somewhat getting from LGA to JFK, Your best bet is either a cab or a limo. When you leave the hotel for the city again your best bet is either a cab or a limo. Taking Airtrain is a pain as you will need to get from Penn Station to Grand Central as there is no connection presently between the LIRR and Metro-North. If you do decided to take Airtrain then once on the LIRR get off at Woodside station and take the 7 to Grand Central. Be advised that the last train leaving Tarrytown for Grand Central is 1:12AM. If you miss that the next one is not until 5:12. Good Luck.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.