Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I give up...

Options
PhilsGrill
PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't find/make a good tasting pizza crust. I know you pizza experts have the secret, mind sharing? I usually make two 16" pies at a time. We like thin crust, and yes I use a bread maker.

Anyone have a great tasting crust recipe out there they would like to share? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    Goggle "Big Green Egg Recipe" and a recipe book link will come up in a pdf format. In there is a recipe for pizza crust and sauce. I do them all the time and they are fantastic. I kneed the dough by hand and use bread flour not regular flour. The recipe is simple, easy, few ingredients, and the pizza's are my favorite cook. Hope this helps.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    Try this one from the King Arthur website. it take's some planning but has great flavor and texture. There are a ton of pizza dough recipes on the KA webssite.
    mike

Farley's Favorite Pizza

Farley is obviously a pizza expert; after all, it takes practice to catch a round of spinning dough! Here's his favorite pizza dough recipe, with some suggested toppings.

Biga
    1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    1/4 cup lukewarm water
    pinch of instant yeast

Dough
    2 cups King Arthur Unbleached-Purpose Flour
    1 heaping tablespoon Pizza Dough Flavor (optional, but delicious)
    3/4 cup water
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon instant yeast

Biga: Mix the biga ingredients in a small bowl, cover, and let rest at room temperature overnight.

Dough: In a large bowl, combine the biga and the remainder of the dough ingredients, stirring till the dough starts to leave the sides of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 5 to 7 minutes, or until it's supple, but the surface is still somewhat rough. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl or dough-rising bucket, cover the bowl or bucket, and allow the dough to rise for 2 hours, turning it over and gently deflating it after 1 hour.

To make the pizza, preheat your oven and baking stone to 500°F for at least an hour. Roll the dough very thin, and place it on a piece of parchment paper cut to size. Top it lightly with your favorite toppings. Don't go overboard with the sauce or toppings -- less is more! Using a peel, transfer the pizza (and parchment) to the hot stone, and bake until crisp, 10 to 15 minutes. Yield: 1 thin 14-inch pizza.
  • JimF
    JimF Posts: 80
    Options
    Here is but 1 of many reciepes for pizza dough:

3 1/2 cups flour
    1 cup warm water (between 95° and 115° F.)
    2 T yeast (2 tablespoons, I like my dough a little yeasty. You can use less)
    2 T honey
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 tsp. salt

You can adjust the amount olive oil to find your preference since it will change the consistency of the dough. I believe one important step is to make the dough the night before to let the flour soak up the water and develop flavor. I make it and stick it in the fridge overnight then let it warm-up before I start to roll it out. I also use a breadmaker to mix and knead the dough.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Search the recipe archive for Spins pizza recipe. He is one of the BGE pizza pioneers from memory and I love that crust.

H
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    What don't you like about the one you are making now? That would help with suggestions.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    I am a pizza dough making fool and one the best recipes that I have used came from this forum.It was posted by BabyBoomBBQ on January 25th,2007."Pondering the Perfect Pizza Recipe."

To quote

Here is what I use.It took me years to get my pizza where I wanted it.I finally got a book."The Art of Pizza Making"by Dominick DeAngelis that guided me to satisfaction.Now that I use the BGE,my pies hold their own with any pie from anywhere.I urge you to get a copy.

I use 2/3 part skim,low moisture mozzarella and 1/3 belgiooios auricchio provolone.Belgioioso is the brand name and auricchio means aged provolone.This will give you the cheese flavor like a NY style pizza.For the 14 inch pie below I used 6oz mozzarella and 3.3 oz of the provolone.

Pizza Dough:

One dough ball for a 14 inch pizza.Double for two,triple for three.When making multiple recipes,cut into equal portions prior to rising.Use weight to divide.

3/4 cup warm water (or flat warm beer,which I use.)
    4 Tsp Sugar
    1 Tsp Olive Oil (NOT EXTRA VIRGIN)
    1/2 Tsp salt
    1 1/2 cup High Gluten Flour (I use King Arthur Bread flour)
    1/2 cup semolina flour(this was the only area that I tweaked)I used 1/4 cup of corn meal and 1/4 cup semolina.A accident happened and I found this gave a unique texture to the finished product.
    1 Tsp active dry yeast

1 Measure flour and set aside
    2 Measure other ingredients
    3 mix all ingredients except and mix until solids dissolved
    4 Immediately,add liquid to mixer,turn on and add flour
    5 Knead for at least ten minutes or till gluten forms a bakers window when you make a mini pizza and stretch it.Do not over knead!
    6 Form a ball and place in a lightly oiled zip lock bag so the ball is resting on the opening.
    7 Allow dough to rise for two hours
    8 Punch sown gently,reform ball,return to bag and set in refrigerator for at least two hours or up to 24 hours which is the best.
    9 Allow dough to reach room temperature before using.

This makes a great crust.
    He also has a great Pizza sauce as well but I do not have the time to type it in now.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Basically taste is blah. However, some of the ones I see here add honey.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    I found a pizza place with a crust I liked, I asked them if I could by just the dough balls from them, they said sure, and we figured out a price and that was it. no trial and error with dough.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    Print 4x6 Recipe Cards
    Print this recipe out and cut along the dotted lines to add this 4x6 recipe card to your personal collection.

Pizza Dough
    Recipe courtesy Wolfgang Puck, "Pizza, Pasta & More!" Random House, 2000
    Ingredients
    1 package active dry or fresh yeast
    1 teaspoon honey
    1 cup warm water, 105 to 115 degrees F
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for brushing

Instructions
    In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in 1/4 cup warm water.

In a food processor, combine the flour and the salt. Add the oil, the yeast mixture, and the
    remaining 3/4 cup of water and process until the mixture forms a ball. (The pizza dough can also be
    made in a mixer fitted with a dough hook. Mix on low speed until the mixture comes cleanly away from
    the sides of the bowl and starts to climb up the dough hook).

Copyright 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and knead by hand 2 or 3 minutes longer. The dough
    should be smooth and firm. Cover the dough with a clean, damp towel and let it rise in a cool spot
    for about 2 hours. (When ready, the dough will stretch as it is lightly pulled).

Divide the dough into 4 balls, about 6 ounces each. Work each ball by pulling down the sides and
    tucking under the bottom of the ball. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Then on a smooth, unfloured surface, roll
    the ball under the palm of your hand until the top of the dough is smooth and firm, about 1 minute.
    Cover the dough with a damp towel and let rest 1 hour. At this point, the balls can be wrapped in
    plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days.

Copyright 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_13823,00.html
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Step 3 error
    Mix all ingredients except flour and mix till solids dissolved. Sorry I left out the flour.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Step 1 Go to Publix and ask for their fresh pizza dough

Step 2 Take it home, leave it in the bag on the counter for 1 hour

Step 3 Take a heavy rolling pin and roll it out to desired size (1 bag will make 1 16" pizza or 2 8" pies)

Step 4 Sprinkle BASIL EVOO (yes they make it) on the dough

STEP 5 Sprinkle Oregano on the crust

STEP 6 Add all of your favorite ingredients (add Pine Nuts you will love em) :

STEP 7 Cook & Eat

STEP 8 If there is no Publix or grocery store in your area that carries a good fresh pizza dough follow all of the recipes listed above.... :woohoo:
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    Here's a website for everything and more that you'd ever want to know about making pizza dough. www.pizzamaking.com

My current recipe:

4 cups hi-gluten flour (approx 600g, 100%)
    1 1/2 cups cold water (approx 378 g, 63%)
    1/2 tsp IDY
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp olive oil

combine IDY & flour
    Add water until ball forms (Use kitchenaid w/dough hook, food processor with dough blade, or knead by hand)

Let rise for 20 minutes.

Add olive oil

Add salt

knead until dough temp is in the mid - hi 70's

Make into balls (size of your choice)
    Place in greased (I use Pam or olive oil) container with lid and put in fridge for 24 -48 hours.

Pull from fridge approx 1.5 hours before making your pizza skin.

Grab the dough around the edges and let it stretch. Once it is circular (or something) put it on your knuckles & stretch to the size you want. DO NOT USE A ROLLING PIN. Be gentle when stretching to size.

Let it rest for a 5-10 minutes, brush with olive oil & top.

The above recipe gets me about 3 10 oz balls, which are 12"-14" pizzas, NY style. I will make a batch, and vaccum pack before the 20 minute rise. Then I pull them out a day or 2 ahead & put in the fridge. The dough is just as good out of the freezer as it is fresh.

Good Luck.
  • 407BGE
    407BGE Posts: 187
    Options
    Here goes:

500 grams Caputo Tipo 00 pizza flour
    325 grams water
    20 grams salt (if 20 grams seems like a lot, try cutting back to 10-15 grams)
    3 grams active dry yeast

First, mix the flour and water, and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Using a stand mixer set a low speed (use #2 for a minute or two, go to #4, then back to #2 with a KitchenAid mixer), blend the water and flour until you have reached a dough ball. It should take a couple of minutes. Once you have incorporated all of the flour, stop, and let everything rest for 20 minutes. This period will allow the flour to fully absorb the water.

I do not use a bread maker because if is just too rough with the dough

Next, add the salt and yeast, and knead the dough for 10 mintues.

Then, make a large dough ball, and let the dough rest at room temperature for 90 minutes. It should have doubled.

Then, cut the dough into four balls (about 215g each). Shape the pizza balls, and set them on a floured surface to rest for at least 30 minutes. If you start in the morning or the night before, make your dough balls in advance and put them in the refrigerator.

If you use Caputo Tipo 00 flour and the recipe and you handle your dough gently, you will be rewarded with a supple, silkly pizza base that is easy to shape, springs in the oven, and tastes great.

I give the recipe by weight because flour can be compacted and using weight helps you to be consistent. The real trick to pizza dough is that there are very few ingredients but the quality is important.

You can use bread flour as well but you will be able to tell the difference if you get the Italian flour.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I read below that the taste is bland. You can add italian seasonings to it such as, oregano thyme rosemary, etc.. When ever I am rolling one out, I always add minced garlic, and herbs and then I roll it into the dough. Try making a batch of dough and cut it into small biscuit-size amounts. Then add different items and cook the small pieces in the oven and have a taste test. Heat a bowl of your favorite sauce and dip 'em until you find what suits you. HTH.