Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Dough Problem

Options
Gunnar
Gunnar Posts: 2,307
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When we use to make the pies in the oven we would light oil the pan, spread the dough, top and bake. I've only had 2 tries in the BGE and loved the taste. The problem is when we roll the dough out it's like we just glued it to the the surface. The first time was floured wax paper; on attempt to place it on the stone, half came off slick the remainder was seriously stuck. Last night we tried a non-stick cookie sheet with flour and still stuck. The first one we eventually got on the stone with corn meal and it cooked great. The second I surrendered to the dough and stuck the cookie sheet and all in the BGE. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.
LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    try using rice flour...you can find it at publix...put it under the dough and on your hands as you prepare pizza dough...also, check out the super peel...google super peel...its a must for doing pizza! i love it!
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Roll your dough out on a piece of parchment paper, trim the excess paper, then bake right on the paper. It won't stick to your peel or cookie sheet. -RP
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    Gunnar,

I sprinkle a generous amount of flour onto the countertop before I roll out the dough, and I sprinkle more flour on the dough as I work with it. It doesn't stick to the countertop.

I sprinkle a generous amount of cornmeal on the pizza peel before I put the dough on it and assemble the pizza. The corn meal acts like little ball bearings and the pizza doesn't stick. I give the peel a little fore and aft shake to confirm that the pizza is loose before I take it outside and tip it onto the preheated pizza stone.

After 10 or 11 minutes at 500º I slip the peel under the pizza and it lifts right off the stone, with no sticking.

--Doug
  • Chef in the Making
    Options
    I have found parchment paper works best for me.
  • eafo
    eafo Posts: 96
    Options
    cornmeal. lots and lots of cornmeal.
    it acts like little ball bearings, and it makes the pizza taste a lot better imo
  • Gunnar
    Gunnar Posts: 2,307
    Options
    Thanks for responses. I have a bag of flour and a bag of corn meal, I'm upping the doesage.
    LBGE      Katy (Houston) TX