Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib-eyes, 1st-time with Pics

Options
NightTrainLayne
NightTrainLayne Posts: 38
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seared a couple of Rib-eyes for the wife and myself:

Steak1.jpg

Took the Egg to 650 degrees

Steak2.jpg

HOT LAVA!!!!

Steak3.jpg

On The Fire

Steak4.jpg

Plated. . .Damn that cow was good

Comments

• BamaBackdraft
    BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
    Options
    Good looking steak and asparagus! What kind of lump you using? Big ole pieces! Half the time mine look like they have been thrown around the warehouse a time or two before I bought it.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    SEAR BABY, SEAR! Looks great! Enjoy!
  • NightTrainLayne
    Options
    BamaBackdraft wrote:
    Good looking steak and asparagus! What kind of lump you using? Big ole pieces! Half the time mine look like they have been thrown around the warehouse a time or two before I bought it.

That is Royal Oak from Wally-world, (Made in USA).

Bad News: :( Although I've been cooking almost non-stop for 3 weeks on my egg, my gasket did not make it through this cook. :(
  • BamaBackdraft
    BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
    Options
    I hear ya. Fried mine last week and ordered a nomex from the mothership. Got to find time to put in on now. Still sealing tight with no leaking around the old felt line so no big hurry. Got to get me some welding gloves also. Tired of smelling burned hand hair :whistle: on the high temp cooks. Burp it several times and still get a bit of a flash.
  • Firestarter21
    Firestarter21 Posts: 309
    Options
    Your gasket looked almost new in the second pic. I may be wrong, but I think the life of these gaskets are under rated. I got my egg at eggtoberfest last October. It was pretty charred the day I got it. If I remember correctly you could see a little bit of the "clean" gasket left. I noticed tonight that mine almost looks like it doesn't exist. However, there is no smoke coming through the seal that the gasket makes. It must still be working. I probably get my egg up to 600 and sear steaks at least once a week and have some very high flames. Your gasket is still probably fine unless you just like the look of a clean unscathed gasket. Just an opinion and by all means you may have burnt yours up. Good luck.
    Barrett
    Woodstock, Ga
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Great looking feed you did. Nice pics. Sorry about the gasket. Still got the stocker on mine and no telling how many cooks and sears I have done. Luck of the draw I guess. I do try to keep mine no more than 600. About your handle, NightTrain as in Twin cam?
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Good job, NTL. I really gotta do asparagus on the Egg, those look delicious.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I have the cast iron grate.
    How long do you usually wait to turn the meat after 1st putting on hot grate?
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    Nice looking meal.
  • NightTrainLayne
    Options
    JLOCKHART29 wrote:
    Great looking feed you did. Nice pics. Sorry about the gasket. Still got the stocker on mine and no telling how many cooks and sears I have done. Luck of the draw I guess. I do try to keep mine no more than 600. About your handle, NightTrain as in Twin cam?

About my handle: NightTrainLayne is a play on an old-school Detroit Lions Defensive Back named **** "Night Train" Lane.

He was a lengend due to his infamous, and devastating Clothesline tackes:

night-trainlane.jpg

My first name is Layne, and I am a fan of the Night Train, **** Lane. Not a Lions fan at all, but Lane was one hell of a defensive back in his day.
  • NightTrainLayne
    Options
    Firestarter21 wrote:
    Your gasket looked almost new in the second pic. I may be wrong, but I think the life of these gaskets are under rated. I got my egg at eggtoberfest last October. It was pretty charred the day I got it. If I remember correctly you could see a little bit of the "clean" gasket left. I noticed tonight that mine almost looks like it doesn't exist. However, there is no smoke coming through the seal that the gasket makes. It must still be working. I probably get my egg up to 600 and sear steaks at least once a week and have some very high flames. Your gasket is still probably fine unless you just like the look of a clean unscathed gasket. Just an opinion and by all means you may have burnt yours up. Good luck.
    Barrett
    Woodstock, Ga

I think I can limp along with it for some time, but at the back of the Egg when I opened it later it stuck together and the bottom gasket pulled completely away from the bottom side of the Egg. It was more or less melted together.

I will have to investigate getting a Nomex gasket.

I thought I would be OK. Did a few lower-temp cooks first and then have done a few cooks now over 600 degrees, but never over 650. For some reason it gave out today.
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Nice steak. I enjoy some of the old clips of NTL - he was absolutely brutal with his clothesline tackles.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    and in the modern era he would be flagged every tackle.
  • NightTrainLayne
    Options
    I always used a cast-iron grates on my previous grill, and have been surprised at the grill-marks that I have gotten from the porcelain grid that came with the Egg.

I just put these steaks on for 1 minute 15 sec. per side, and turned twice. During the second set of turns I just kept them on for one minute each side.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'm surprised it fried at only 650 and what sounds like a short time.

I agree your gasket was looking good in pic #2.

don't worry, you absolutely can cook with out it, it just might take longer to shut down.