Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts n Red Beans

Options
Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Started 4x 5lb butts about mid day today for this weekend...decided yesterday to try some Red Beans and Rice again so got the stuff for that too...made the RB&R on the small while the butts are cooking on the large...this pic does NOT do these RB&R justice..looks like gruel..color is off.. this is one absolutely delicious dish...cooked 'em for 3 1/2 hrs on the small with fresh andouille I grilled first thing this morning...then made some of CWs cornbread to have with it...a little trick I've started with the cornbread...as soon as it comes off and you flip it out of the skillet..brush some honey on top and let it carmelize just a bit before serving... mmmmm!! :woohoo:
e14dea5f.jpg
While the butts were getting started...
f39d3113.jpg
..buncha stuff left to cook for the weekend...

Comments

• BamaFan
    BamaFan Posts: 658
    Options
    The Red Beans look awsome. That is one of my all time favorite dishes.
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    You and me both Bama..these came out absolutely eggilicious!! :side: :P :woohoo:
  • BamaBackdraft
    BamaBackdraft Posts: 318
    Options
    Looking good Tucky! Lot of meat in those beans! Just the way I like them! Try a little(about a pint) picante sauce in them if you like a little kick!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Yep I like all the meat in the RB myself. Looking good 'tucky! ;) About to have a stroke for something Egged. Working these four, 12 hr graveyards and wife was out of town left me with no time to cook. She's back and will try and caveman some flatiron tomorrow if I get up in time!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Eggtucky,

What recipe did you use?

GG
  • Eggtucky
    Options
    GG..I'm not sure where I got this..but it looked real good and is!..
    * 1 pound red kidney beans, dry
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 1 bell pepper, chopped
    * 5 ribs celery, chopped
    * As much garlic as you like, minced (I like lots, 5 or 6 cloves)
    * 1 large smoked ham hock, 3/4 pound of Creole-style pickle meat (pickled pork), or 3/4 lb. smoked ham, diced, for seasoning
    * 1 to 1-1/2 pounds mild or hot smoked sausage or andouille, sliced on the bias
    * 1/2 to 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crushed
    * 1 or 2 bay leaves
    * As many dashes Crystal hot sauce or Tabasco as you like, to taste
    * A few dashes Worcestershire sauce
    * Creole seasoning blend, to taste; OR,
    o red pepper and black pepper to taste
    * Salt to taste
    * Fresh Creole hot sausage or chaurice, links or patties, grilled or pan-fried, one link or patty per person (optional)
    * Pickled onions (optional)

Soak the beans overnight, if possible. The next day, drain and put fresh water in the pot. (This helps reduce the, um, flatulence factor.) Bring the beans to a rolling boil. Make sure the beans are always covered by water, or they will discolor and get hard. Boil the beans for about 45 - 60 minutes, until the beans are tender but not falling apart. Drain.

While the beans are boiling, sauté the Trinity (onions, celery, bell pepper) until the onions turn translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally. After the beans are boiled and drained, add the sautéed vegetables to the beans, then add the ham hock (or ham or pickle meat), smoked sausage, seasonings, and just enough water to cover.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook for 2 hours at least, preferably 3, until the whole thing gets nice and creamy. Adjust seasonings as you go along. Stir occasionally, making sure that it doesn't burn and/or stick to the bottom of the pot. (If the beans are old -- say, older than six months to a year -- they won't get creamy. Make sure the beans are reasonably fresh. If it's still not getting creamy, take 1 or 2 cups of beans out and mash them, then return them to the pot and stir.)

If you can ... let the beans cool, stick them in the fridge, and reheat and serve for dinner the next day. They'll taste a LOT better. When you do this, you'll need to add a little water to get them to the right consistency.

Serve generous ladles-ful over hot white long-grain rice, with good French bread and good beer. I also love to serve grilled or broiled fresh Creole hot sausage or chaurice on the side. Do not serve with a canned-beet salad, like my Mom always used to do. (Sorry, Mom ... try something interesting with fresh beets and we'll talk. :^)

I like serving a few small pickled onions with my red beans -- I chop them up and mix them in with the beans. It's great! Why does it taste so good? As my sister's friend (and dyed-in-the-wool New Orleanian) Cherie Valenti would say ... "It's da vineguh!"

YIELD: 8 servings

I did the boiling and saute'ing on the stove..then simmered them on the small egg with hickory smoke and no lid for about 3 1/2 hrs or until the beans get soft...also I used fresh andouille but couldnt find the pickled onions or chaurice...oh..and instead of the ham hock I bought the country ham chips that are common here for seasoning...
  • Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    One man's gruel...
    Looks great to me.

Walt
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Ah, thanks my man, I appreciate that.

GG