Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thumbs Down on Oregon Sci Wireless BBQ Thermometer

Options
fdxegger
fdxegger Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bough this thermometer at Lowe's about 9 months ago for about $55.00. First sensor lasted 3 months and then said meat temp was 105 degrees frozen solid. Hmmm... returned whole thing to Oregon Scientific for a new unit. Second sensor now says it 87 degrees in frozen meat. Have another Scientific Oregonremote thermometer in the house that quit working 10 days out of warranty.

IMHO, don't waste your money. :(

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Bummer FDX - but thanks for the warning...
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, man! The thermometers I've been using are a little cheapie IKEA model, and a $20 Polder. I dropped the Polder and the clear plastic part broke, so I don't really care to use it any longer. The IKEA one has been holding up strong, and is really my #1 unit, with the DigiQ thermometers a close second.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I saw those on clearance at Lowes last fall for $10 each, and bought 5 of them. I gave all but one away, but I've been happy with it. The only problem is that it is very difficult to know when the sending unit is turned off. You have to turn it off and wait until you see no reading on the main unit before you shut off the main. The company has been very good to deal with customer service wise with another product I have of theirs. -RP
  • eggbasket
    eggbasket Posts: 111
    Options
    We unfortunately paid around $40 for ours but has been great so far. Perfect for those days when it is really cold and you want to keep an eye on the progress of the cook. Sunday we did a turkey and when it was done, we spot check with the "Mollymometer" (Can't think of it's real name right now but everyone here know the instant read that I am talking about).

Gosh we love our eggs!
    Carol
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    LOL, Thermapen would be the politically correct name, but I would campaign for changing it to Mollymometer in a heartbeat. If you don't mind, I think I will refer to it as that in the future. -RP
  • eggbasket
    Options
    Rick,
    I thought after I posted, that this just might catch on."Mollymometer" it has a nice ring to it. At first I tried 'Mollymeter' but I like Mollymometer best. Thermopen probably won't want her to go so far to call it that but we sure can. We bought ours in OKC and are constantly amazed at it.....and Mollyshark as well. :laugh:
    Carol
  • eggbasket
    Options
    Oops, Randy.
    I changed your name too LOL!!!!
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    Options
    Bought mine last year for $20 from Lowes. I haven't had any problems with it, but I like my $14 non-wireless from Walmart better. The Oregon Sci Wireless doesn't let you set the temp. You can only pick the meat type and wellness for beef only. All the others are preset temps. My non-wireless, I pick the alarm temp and that's that. I still use both, but have to keep an eye on the wireless for the temps.