Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wow.....ABT's

Options
Bacchus
Bacchus Posts: 6,019
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had my first ABT's over the weekend. Holy Moly. Hot and Yummy. A little too hot, but still very good. I took out the seeds and some of the ribbing, but not all. I heard you can soak them in water and that calms them down a bit.

Picture2254030.jpg

Picture2254041.jpg

Picture2254042.jpg

Ron

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If you're careful to remove all the seeds & membranes you'll most likely find them to be just fine!
  • pyro
    pyro Posts: 47
    Options
    if you get all of the "white" stuff out of the inside they will be very mild and delicious.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I agree with the others that removing the membrane kills most of the heat, but if you find them still too hot you can soak in a bowl of ice water with a couple Tbsp of white vinegar.

I also prefer to do mine on the half shell, not to mitigate the heat of the peppers because I leave in a little membrane, but I find them easier to eat this way without the cheese squeezing out.

Yummy.jpg
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Looks great. I see you used the two-toothpick method. It sure makes it easier to cut them into bite-size pieces after they are cooked. I always do two toothpicks and made some at the Texas Eggfest with three toothpicks because the jalapenos were so large.

Someone posted not long ago that Tater-Tots wrapped in bacon is a nice treat. And bacon-wrapped watermelon rinds are very tasty. Gonna try doing that soon.

Spring "ABT-Eater-Upper" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Those look awesome! I'm going to have to try that soon. Thanks for posting.
  • Meatatarian
    Meatatarian Posts: 69
    Options
    After seeing some of the folks on this board make ABT with no toothpicks, I decided to give it a whirl this weekend. I was able to make it work just fine. Thanks to Bente or Rick's Tropical Delight. I'm pretty sure it was one of those two who inspired me.

Also, when I bought bacon this weekend, I was really just going for cheap and not paying close attention to what I was getting. Once I got home, I realized that I had purchased maple flavored bacon. I thought it added a great flavor to the ABTs. I used the two leftover pieces that I had to make some pig candy, and I thought that was great too.

Great pictures.

Meat
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Maple bacon also makes great Maple bacon wrapped tater tots... just sprinkle on DP's Shakin' the Tree and you have got a real treat....I cooked some Saturday and cooked them on top of my wings...the bacon dripped on the wings and my wife could hardly containe herself...and she is picky... :whistle:

see my earlier post Fun Egg'n weekend...
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    That was my response the first time I made them after seeing folks talking about them for years here.

Just scrap out more of the ribs to cut the heat.

Another trick I picked up from Chubby is to give them a glaze with maple syrup. Wowza does that taste good.

drizzelingthesyrup.jpg
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Ron, congrats on some fine lookin' turds! Are those stuffed with cheese only, or do I see a Little Smokie in there....I've only done pulled pork and shrimp to date - both good.

Bacchus wrote:
    Had my first ABT's over the weekend. Holy Moly. Hot and Yummy. A little too hot, but still very good. I took out the seeds and some of the ribbing, but not all. I heard you can soak them in water and that calms them down a bit.

Picture2254030.jpg

Picture2254041.jpg

Picture2254042.jpg

Ron
  • Bacchus
    Options
    I cut some leftover Flat Iron Steak into tiny bits using a very sharp knife. Put that in first, then cream cheese.

PS....I did the F.I.s one night last week after work when I was craving brisket. Only had a couple of hours though, so I stopped by the local store and got two Flat Iron Steaks on sale, rubbed them up, cooked indirect at 275deg for 2 hours. It was kinda like a mini brisket, complete with awesome smoke ring. BUT obviously just a sub for the real thing.

RB
  • ChefBrian
    ChefBrian Posts: 172
    Options
    I have been wanting to make a batch of Pimento Cheese and think I will marry this into some ABT's.
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    I've made these ABT's also and it was a joy to watch every guest go caveman on them.
  • AuburnTiger
    AuburnTiger Posts: 38
    Options
    Can you please put out the recipe for yours? Atleast ingredients and time of cook on the egg?

Is this prefered with plate setter or direct heat?
  • Bacchus
    Options
    assuming you are asking for mine....I didnt use a recipe. i think there may be one on here somewhere. The main thing is to cook the bacon, everything else should just fall into place. You dont want to cook to hot/fast cuz of cream cheese.

Jalepeno Peppers, seeded with ribs removed.
    leftover meat (or not)
    cream cheese
    wrap with bacon.

I like Rod's idea of cutting them in half.

Also the guy who drizzels syrup on there adds an interesting flair.

You may find that, like all types of cooking, egging recipes can and should be tailored to your and your families tastes.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    You should try the little smokies sausages..I prefer the pulled pork but the wife insists on some of them being made with the lil smokies... :whistle:
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Ron,

Good looking 'turds.... :laugh:

I have yet to try those, but think the day is coming.

Greg