Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 Days of Nothing but Fun

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have really been torn about the mini. I made 5 or 6 trips to the Egg house and talking with the dealer. I told him I was only going to use it at home. I was almost talked out of getting it.

Well Saturday I picked one up and headed home. Looking at the Mini makes one wonder but afte cooking on one there has been nothing but fun ever since.

Angie2B said below she did some low and slow's on her mini, hopefully, she will jump in and elobrate some.

So one more egg in the stable.

GG

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i did 2.5 lbs of short ribs for 5 hours and had lots of lump left. smoked some cheese and did lots of breast indirect.
    scrapple and corn meal mush

mini021.jpg
    cheese and chicken

smokedcheeseandchicken002.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken003.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken004.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken008.jpg

smokedcheeseandchicken011.jpg
    smokedcheeseandchicken012.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks Bill,

What type of grid is that over the drip pan - I see the "V's" in the grid.

How high did you fill the lump on the 5 hr cook?

I started with chicken breasts, then dogs, jalapeño brats, some shrimp & veggies, did some grilled cheese sandwiches (quick & very tasty), ABT’s, chicken thighs and legs with DP swamp venom, fajita’s, and for lunch today grilled tuna sandwiches for the wife and I today and had to cook some more hot dogs for the grandkids.

GG
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Did not relize you can get that much on a mini. Looking good chicken.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Good luck with your new edittion Grandpa. Get lots of good cooks and enjoy.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Here is a link from when I posted about my mini a couple of years ago.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=81935&catid=1#81935

-If you roll your ribs you can fit a slab in the mini.

-I used to smoke 1/2 size small butts (about 4-5 lbs) in the mini. I had to reload the lump after approx 6 hours........but I probably wasn't putting in enough lump. The meat would usually get done a lot quicker than the bigger ones too. Just open the bottom vent and top about 1/4 of an inch.

-For my meats, I used little disposible pans and sat the meat on little aluminum logs that I had rolled up to keep the meat out of the juices

-I've done a whole smaller chicken. I did a turkey breast once but I spilled all the grease into the firepit trying to get it out! WooDoggies!!

-You can find circular shis-ka-bob metal skewers that fit the mini, I have a pizza screen that fits the mini- I think it was an eight incher that I bought from a restaurant supply store. Also, alot of these little bbq sauce pans called "bean pots" will fit.

YB here on this site is the king of the mini!! Look up his name in the search engine with the word "mini". I bet you could find a lot of good info.

Also, I had my honey cut the bottom out of a cake pan and I bought an extra grid so I can use the cake pan as a spacer to double layer things like wings.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Mike,

I thought the same thing before buying it. I was very pleased once I got home and using it.

Hope you get feeling better soon.

Kent
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    There is a saying that goes something like

"necessity is the mother of invention"

Considering the mini table for under $10 and cutting the bottom out of a cake pan for raised grid, etc. methinks Angie2B is the "Mother of invention" when it comes to a mini. :)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Angie,

Thank you for the ideas. There are some of the things I need to pick up and the resturant supply is a great place to start looking.

My mini is going to get a lot more use than I thought it would when I first picked it up.

My best, Kent
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Actually, I think I got the idea from YB. I think it was YB who had a ring he used as a spacer. I was just trying to copy him. :) His wasn't a cake pan though.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Grandpa, you are going to have a blast with the mini.
    Thats one down: A Kimber and a Rem left on your list. :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    With just a few days under my belt using the mini, I am loving it already having a great time.

This egg is sure under rated and somewhat talked down even by dealers out this way. It is fun putting in a cup or two of lump and get to cookkng.

I would sure recomend the mini to anyone its now my 'Big Green Grillin Machine". I cooked 4 pretty good size ears of corn on it last night. It was a tight fit and I had to so some trimmin but the mini did the job.

Over the weekend I am going to do some low and slow cooking. The first L & S will be my favorite, thirdeye wet pastrami.

Needless to say I am happy with the new addition and I see no need for an XL.

Now on to the Kimber & a SG, probably the other way around but that's not a big deal.

Thanks, Kent