Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

using as a brick oven for bread

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of buying a big egg, but I would like to use it for baking bread. That is what I would mostly use it for. I am not a big meat eater and would do veggies, fish and bread. Can anyone tell me how well this functions for bread? Thanks,

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Molly,

You'll find that the Egg will function as a wonderful 'brick oven'. Our crowd here in the Cult bake all manner of goodies from French bread, sourdough, pizzas, naan,cakes and pies. One of our more nefarious denizens , Egret, is famous for his grape drinks and his bread. I'll bet he will appear here soon to help you.

You'll make a good choice in buying the Egg visit us often and don't drink the grape Kool-Ade!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont make bread often, i just bought a book and jumped right in, these are first attempts

beehive bread

100_1153.jpg

100_1156.jpg

lobster bisque in a bread bowl paine ordinair careme

286fa7ca.jpg

icecream bread

100_0284.jpg

guinness bread

2004_0229_162424.jpg

not quite bread, portuguese rotten cake

100_1063.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Man, that looks great! What did you have in the beehive bread? Portuguese rotten cake? What's the story behind that?
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    It does wonders as a brick oven for bread......and pizza!

Here is some loaf bread on the large and some crusty country bread on the small :

BreadontheRidge.jpg

A closer shot of the small :

BreadonSmall.jpg

here's the white loaf bread :

Bread.jpg

How about some sourdough?

Small2.jpg

More sourdough :

SourdoughPic.jpg

Headed for the dealer for a sourdough bread demo :

LoadedandReady.jpg
  • egret
    Options
    Nefarious denizen? :woohoo: :woohoo:

I've found a way to improve on the grape soda :

WineMaker-2.jpg
  • Big'un
    Options
    Wow, he even looks like you! Except for the mustache. :woohoo:
  • Big'un
    Options
    That bread is beautiful! Great job!
  • Go to the search box and type in "Bread Old Dave" and you will find many different posts on baking many different breads on the cooker.

If you need additional information, e-mail me at stam@ccrtc.com

Dipstick
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    Egret,
    Do you have any bread recipes floating around here?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i think thats campbells wedding soup LOL.

this is rotten cake, basically oil honey and flour, no yeast. i put a cream cheese frosting and some craisins on it. pretty good, heavey and sweet

Bolo Podre ("Rotten" Cake)

This is a traditional Portuguese Christmas speciality made in the Alentejo, a province in the South of Portugal. Don't be put off by the title "rotten": the cake is not at all rotten and tastes very very yummy!

Ingredients

2.5 dl (1/2 pint) honey 2.5 (1/2 pint) olive oil
    250 g (9 oz) sugar 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
    zest of 1 lemon 6 eggs
    350 g (12 oz) plain flour 1 teaspoon baking power

Mix together the honey, olive oil, the zest of lemon and the sugar and beat well until you have a whitish cream.

Next add the cinnamon and the egg yolks one at a time, beating well between each addition.

Whisk the egg whites stiff and fold into the egg-sugar mixture, alternating with the sifted flour and baking powder.

Put the mixture into a big well greased round baking tin, with a hole in the middle (like a ring) and cook in a preheated oven (180°C) for about 1 hour, or until cooked (test with a skewer). Cover the cake with greased baking paper during the first 20 minutes, to avoid burning.

This cake must be very well beaten.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    old dave's the master, he made some tremendous looking breads
    fukahwee maine

• Big'un
    Options
    Thanks,I'm going to have to try that.

My next door neighbors(in my youth) were portuguese and they made a wonderful bread with sausage/pepperoni at Christmas time. It was fantastic! I wish I had appreciated it as much then, as I would now.
  • Angie2B
    Options
    Dipstick,

ccrtc......Old Dave, is that you in disguise? :woohoo:
    If it is I sure miss you being here.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    When you bake bread and such do you rotate at all during your cook or is the heat even enough.
    Thanks,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• Thanks for all your replies. I am running out to buy an egg. I love to make breads with levain. I hope that I will have pictures as glorious as yours when I use my cooker. Do you know Jeffrey Hammelman's book on Breads? He is the head baker at King Arthur Flour and has written an excellent, professional bread book. Molly
  • Essex County
    Options
    I've done a few breads on my large egg. This one came from the Laurel's Kitchen baking book. You mentioned King Arthur. I got to go to their retail store in Vermont a couple of months ago. What a treat! They have an amazing array of stuff for bakers. Good luck with your purchase and be sure to come back with questions and pictures.

Paul

Bread005.jpg
  • Jawjajoe
    Jawjajoe Posts: 51
    Options
    Just love that view. Do you ever get tired of it?
  • egret
    Options
    No, but I could float them your way if you're interested....
  • egret
    Options
    I rotate them frequently, whether on the egg or in the oven.....
  • egret
    Options
    No.....never, after 13 years here! :laugh:
  • Angie2B
    Options
    I would love some of your recipes, if it's not too much trouble! :)
  • Speaking of using the Egg for bread, is anyone using their SMALL for baking and if so, what are recommendations? I have a small, love to bake and would like to try this, but the surface seems small (why oh why didn't we buy the large? The dealer now has lovely ones with beautiful tables...maybe next time...)