Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

new gasekt problem - follow up

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few days ago I posted regarding an issue that I had with the new nomex gasket that I recently installed. I've pasted this below.

I called John at BGE and he informed me that they had some issues with the adhesive very early on with the Nomex gaskets, but this has been taken care of. However, I might have reveived an older gasket that was produced prior to the fix. John is sending me a new gasket to use as a replacment. Great customer service.

Not sure if anyone else has had the same problem, but if so I would recommend contacting the BGE headquarters.

"I installed a new nomex gasket a couple of months ago and after some initial problems with the adhesive during the first couple of cooks (slippage), things seemed to be going pretty well. Last night I did a couple of pizzas and get the dome temp up to ~600 degrees and about 15 minutes into the cook, I opened the lid to take one of the pizza's out and the top gasket had come completely loose and acutally fell onto the pizza and stone. The wierd thing was that the plastic backing (the double sided tape that is attached to the back of the gasket) was still attached to the lid. The gasket had actually come loose from the backing. I peeled the backing off of the lid very easily and finished my cook, making sure to keep the lid open so that it wouldn't seal shut once it cooled.

Has anyone has similar issues? I think I might have just got a defective gasket so I'm going to call the mothership, but wanted to know if this is common. Thanks."

Comments

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. Replaced my gasket last Friday. Waited till Sunday morning to fire it back up. Gasket just fell away from the dome. I removed the gasket and the backing and reinstalled using the 3M spray adhesive Sunday around noon. Fired it back up Monday night and it seems to be fine but just one cook performed.

101_2474640x480.jpg
    101_2475640x480.jpg
    101_2476640x480.jpg
    101_2477640x480.jpg
    101_2478640x480.jpg
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Frank, At first it appeared your gasket was wider then the ceramics. After looking closer I realized you are just pulling the backing off the lid. Is that correct? Was the gasket wider then the ceramics? If it was that doesn't seem right.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I would say it is no more than an 1/8" wide. It was just the backing that was hanging. I removed it, and went through the process of cleaning, etc. and reinstalled. I think it is going to be just fine with just the 3M spray adhesive but probably have to crank it up a few more times to be sure. No complants here BTW. I have a good seal all the way around and the $1, $5, $10, and $20 bill test (Slotmercenary suggested that :laugh: ) works fine in all quadrants.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I'm not sure about the nomex gasket but the old felt one had problems if it extended past the ceramics inside the egg. I would look into whether you should trim it to be flush with the ceramics or install it so any excess extended out side the egg, which would make it look terrible and I would have to trim it also.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    The Nomex gasket is wider than the rim of the ceramic. When applying the gasket; make sure that the inside of the rim and the gasket is aligned together. There is no need to trim the gasket. The gasket will contract.
    On any gasket, do not let it extend into the egg.
    Hope this helps; but should you have any questions; let me know.
    Hammer
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    The gasket is flush with the inside and the excess is to the OD. Doesn't look bad at all amd most importantly it seems to be working fine.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Options
    I'd like to test mine. Do you have a few spare $20s laying around I can use? :woohoo:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It's in the mail :woohoo: