Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Steak?

Options
mark9765
mark9765 Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never cooked or eaten lamb. I bought a lamb steak at the butcher shop today and decided to experiment. It is small about 1/2" thick. Any recomendations on seasoning and cooking the lamb steak.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hot fast rare.

salt before hand, and add pepper after, maybe some garlic.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Is it a leg steak with the round leg bone in the middle? We get them fairly often at the supermarket. I give them a healthy dose of Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin and then sear and roast. Yum!
    The Naked Whiz
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I love lamb.

By its nature, lamb steak is going to be a little tougher than lamb chops. I don't mind that, so I just cook it medium rare like chops and I am happy.

The other way is to slow cook it in a braise or something.

I think that it is hard to go wrong with seasoning, so use whatever sounds good. I like garlic, S&P and fresh rosemary. The DP rubs are also good. I have used Tsunami Spon and Dizzy Dust.

Given the thickness, I would not recommend trying for a sear. Just throw them on at 350 - 450 and don't over cook them. I would guess 5 minutes on the first side and then judge the second side when you turn them

Good luck.
  • mark9765
    mark9765 Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Only bought 1 to sample. I have 2 Tri Tips and some stuffed flounder for the main meal :P. The tri tip I like to rub with a mix of kosher salt, turbinado sugar, garlic powder and black pepper.
  • CourtJester
    Options
    stike wrote:
    hot fast rare.

salt before hand, and add pepper after, maybe some garlic.
    +1 on the above advice. Lamb will cook fairly fast due to the fat content. Also, it was meant to be eaten rare to medium rare. ;)

Post some pictures when you get it done!