Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday's Chicken Cook

Options
Hustling Hare
Hustling Hare Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is the cook posting I promised earlier in the OT on the Shuttle. I hope you all understood the little lesson about spacecraft countdowns and programmed holds.

Sunday seemed to be a good day to roast a chicken so here goes. I used my pottery beer butt style chicken cooker. It has the "can" in the middle for things like beer or wine. I put onion, celery, garlic, and white wine in it for this cook:

Ready for the egg. It's at about 360 deg grate temp according to the DigiQ:

IMG_0760_small.jpg

In she goes, hook up the probes and we are cookin':

IMG_0761_small.jpg

Temp in the thigh is about 130 deg so time to use the special feature of the cooker.

IMG_0762_small.jpg

First, pour off the fat in the dish:

IMG_0763_small.jpg

Add rice and salted boiling water to the dish:

IMG_0764_small.jpg

Thigh temp is about right (maybe). At least DigiQ and Thermapen say so:

IMG_0765_small.jpg

Dinner is served:

IMG_0766_small.jpg

Actually I got a bit ahead of my self, the hunger alarm was ringing loudly. the chicken was almost done and the rice was almost ready. Delicious anyway. Lesson is be more patient.

HH

Comments

• Chef in the Making
    Options
    dinner looks great. I have never done the rice that way but will have to try it
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Got to agree with Chef there. Never seen the rice trick before. I little more info please such as instant or raw, cook time, ect. :woohoo:
  • Hustling Hare
    Options
    First, it's important to pour off the fat otherwise the rice will be pretty greasy.

Rice needs about a 2:1 ratio of water to rice to cook completely. For my dish about 3/4 cup of raw rice is all it will hold with the 1 1/2 cup of water. The water, for this, should be salted ~1/2 tsp or less, and be boiling to save time. I nuked the water and took it out to the egg. On a stove with a lid on the pot rice needs about 20 minutes to absorb the water. In the egg, it seems to need about 30 to 40 minutes. I was cooking at 360 deg. I try to time it so when the meat is about 130 I add the rice and hopefully the rice and meat are finished at the same time. Basically when the water is absorbed, the rice is ready.

If you want you could add some chopped veges such as small diced carrots, green onions, shallots or whatever to the rice, assuming the dish will hold it.

For those interested, I got the dish at a pottery booth at an Art show. I might be able to find contact info if you decide you want one.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Hare, Thanks for the reply and taking time to type it all out. Saved to my "saved links" list! ;)