Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Surf & Turf snow crabs

Options
FlaPoolman
FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wife has been under the weather the last couple days so did a cook for myself :evil: . Before you start I did heat a can of soup for her ;) . TRexed a NY strip and while cooling down for phase 2 wrapped 4 small clusters of snow crab in foil with a little butter & lemon juice (about 15 min I think). The cup of butter in the pic was not needed, crabs were great & TRex steak is always good. King crab was on sale for $12.99 a pound, should have bought some but would have to cut to fit on the large :ohmy: . Have blood work tomorrow so maybe drink the cup of butter just to wake the doc up :woohoo: :woohoo: . First time with crab on the egg & was better than steaming.

Pat

100_1624.jpg

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    She got soup and you got strip steak and crab legs?

Oh boy, this oughta be good once she's on the mend.... :whistle:
  • N'awlins
    Options
    You could have called over some of you friends to help you with the crab legs!! LOL!!! :woohoo:
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    If your wife actually ate the soup and passed on the steak and crab legs you better get her to a doctor fast.... she must be REALLY sick... :P
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    nice looking surf and turf, perfect char on the strip. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just didn´t occur to me .......we can actually cook for ourselves.......mmmmmmmmmmm those crabs loog nice!!!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Next time combine the 2.

Soup, She-Crab, Betty Sutton

INGREDIENTS:
    2 Cups White Crab Meat and Roe (when available)
    2 Drops Onion Juice
    1 Qt. Milk
    1/4 Cup Cream, Heavy
    1/4 Lb Butter
    Mace, Salt/Pepper
    1 Tbs Flour
    1/2 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce
    4 Tbs Dry Sherry

Procedure:
    1 Melt the butter and blend in the flour. Add the milk, crab meat, roe and all the seasonings except the sherry.
    2 Cook slowly over hot water for 20 minutes.
    Serve:
    1 Add 1/2 Tablespoon of warmed sherry to individual serving bowls. Add the soup and top each with whipped cream. Serve hot.

Recipe Type
    Soup

Recipe Source
    Source: Betty Sutton, 06/06/07
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    LOL she started it. Called on the way home from work & she asked for a can (not home made) of beef & barley soup. $60.00 later (needed beer to ;) ) I arrived with her wishes. Well the rest is in the pic's LOL. I think she still likes me :blush::blush: .

Pat
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Holy cow....she got a sister??? :laugh:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Next time buy more beer and make the soup at home.

Soup, Beef, Barley

What about the rib bones?

Procedure:
    1 I like to make beef barley soup with them. Dutch oven, bones, beef/chicken stock, carrots, barley, onions, celery, sliced mushrooms, seasoning. Cook for couple hours add barley toward the end, depending on type, determines the time.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Soup

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard FL, 12/26/07
  • FlaPoolman
    Options
    She wanted in a hurry & like a good husband I complied. She actually turned down the last cluster. I might not have asked loud enough :S :whistle::whistle: .

Pat
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    drink the butter....that is hilarious!

Just take doc some steak and crab, he/she'll waive the vampires (errrr I mean lab techs) off! :woohoo: :lol:

Looks delish!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I haven't done crab, yet -- You encourage me!

~ Broc
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Hope the wife gets to felling better. As for you with the butter and crabs I hope the blood work is'nt for colestarol or your fixing to get over medicated! I made the mistake on time of eating at a Chineese buffet the night b4 I had my colostarol checked. Made myself almost sick eating shrimp off the bar. Next morning my total was 205 where normal is in 150-160 range with Zocar. :blink: Doc wanted to increase my amount till I talked him into doing it again a week later and it was back at 155. :whistle:
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Hey Pat,

The crab looks great, as does the steak. Might throw your cholesterol count off a bit when they see the lab results of the blood work! Be sure to bring them a picture so they'll know why :)