Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ice fishing and egging

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,827
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
put a butt and picnic on the night before, got out the wok for some schezuan orange chicken. deep frying wasnt as scary as i thought it would be, brought the egg up to 800 degrees, opened the dome and kept it open with the lower vent completely closed and the flames died down after 20 or so minutes but the heat stayed high enough for some woking. first time using the wok in the egg, simple enough.

100_1757.jpg

100_1759.jpg
large egg cooking away, solid slippery ice under the snow, a little tricky getting down there carrying the pork

100_1772.jpg
enough pull for the freezer and a few dinners

100_1760.jpg
deep frying the chicken

100_1761.jpg
just getting it browned, will finish cooking it later

100_1762.jpg
ginger, thai peppers, orange peel, and some green onions

100_1763.jpg
add the oyster orange sauce

100_1764.jpg
put the chicken back in to finish cooking. wok was a little too hot for the cold temps outside, the chicken cooled off a bit too much and needed to be cooked longer during this stage, this cook would have been better if it were warmer outside or i had the other egg lit to keep the chicken warm while the sauce thickened up.

100_1766.jpg
plated in the snow

100_1769.jpg
since this was breakfast
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    More power to ya cooking in all that snow...yikes I would have stayed inside....no I would have moved by now.... B)

great looking food

Kim Youngblood
    (aka vidalia1)
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    The pork looks grate butt I also like the Schezuan orange-chicken idea. Any hints on that one?

Thank you, Rascal
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i really enjoy winter, actually like it better than hot summer days. and thn you wouldnt be catching cold water perch, something thats real hard to beat, fried these up inside, its not a good egg cook. i do get some strange looks out on the lake, i drag ot my rocking chair and you wouldnt believe how hot it gets sitting in the sun, my tan right now is probably darker than most people that live down in florida

100_1767.jpg

100_1747.jpg

100_1755.jpg
    fukahwee maine

• Rascal
    Options
    Sorry. As usual, I look at pictures more than i read! 8 - )

Rascal
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Did you fry the perch on the egg?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry,

Went back and read this time

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Rascal
    Options
    Must be the moon or somethin'! 8 - )
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Dayum those look good! -RP
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I would almost swear it wasn't there the fist time I looked

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Great job and you're a true Egger. While I'm not a cold weather person I must say the snow sure looks pretty. Thanks for posting those great pictures.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Deep frying on an Egg or any grill/smoker is a dangerous practice in my opinion. You are a wobble away from a face full of flames. Grease fires are the nightmare of every competition team, its the number one safety concern at competitions becuase of injury and because such fires can spread (people do not deep fry anything there, but still can get pools of grease in their water pans that occasionally catch on fire).

I would just caution anyone seeing these pictures against deep frying anything on the Egg.

Brett
    The Virginian
  • Rascal
    Options
    I strongly agree! Once a grease fire becomes part of you, you're stuck with it! Have one too many, spill the pot and you're in one, mighty, downhill situation! I preach that you NEVER cook with a pot of oil on a device that can remove your hair and/or skin without an accelerant (like oil)! Don't push the envelope of sanity. Keep it cool!

Rascal
  • fishlessman
    Options
    something i learned with this cook that i wasnt expecting was that the flames all but disapeear with an open dome cook, they almost looked like briquets as the lump ashed over white. i wasnt going to do this part of the cook in the egg until i actually saw the heat stabilize and the flames subside. something i wasnt familar with was cooking with the dome open and the vent totally shut. if you were to close the egg and reopen it it would definatly cause a fire. im not too sure that this would be worse than my wok burner in the house, its got a huge flame and ive always been wary of it going up in flames. the wok also uses a minimum of oil compared to a deep fry kettle, i had the cover handy and was actually prepared to walk away and let it burn if i had to, the egg sits in a fairly safe area with nothing else that could catch fire within 30 feet of it. still you need to be aware of what can happen.
    fukahwee maine

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Good advice. I'm a veteran of campfire cooking but normally fry fish on a white gas stove. During an exception to that rule (as we were low on fuel) I was splashed and flashed when turning a fish. A couple of days later, as a plastic surgeon was looking at my hand, the first thing he asked me to do was drop my pants.... I said "Huh??" and he said, "I just want to see what kind of grafting material I have to work with".

It's going on 20 years since I've camped without extra fuel bottles.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • fishlessman
    Options
    trying different batter recipes lately, figure you might have a good one.
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    This one is good, make sure the water is very cold.

How to, Batter, Tempura

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 cup ice water
    1 egg

Procedure:
    1 Mix the egg and water then quickly add to the flour and baking powder. Don't worry about the lumps. Add your favourite vegetables (sliced sweet potato, broccoli, vidalia onions, carrots, etc). Deep fry until barely golden. Drain well. When cooled, any leftovers can be frozen then rehaeted in a toaster oven.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Help

Recipe Source

Source: BBQ List, Gary Wiviott, 03/19/99
  • thirdeye
    Options
    I don't often do batters because I do more pan frying than deep frying. A quick soak in milk and then into some seasoned cornmeal, or a cornmeal fish fry product, is the way I like them. I use 3/8" or so of oil and cook 2/3 done on the first side and 1/3 after the turn. It finishes on the resting rack. The side I want to serve up is the first side down.

DSC01251a.jpg

However, most bars (and many churches) in the Midwest will have regular fish fry's. They all use batters. The ones that cook walleye are my favorite. The ingredients in the batters vary, but ones with club soda instead of beer are by far better...
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    nice post.....how thick is the ice.
    As a kid, I enjoyed ice fishing, did not own a boat, LOL. T
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thin this year because of the early snow. just about 15 inches. up north its thinner, had two go thru on sleds a couple weeks back looking for us, they got a little disoriented in an early heavey fog and ended up too close to some moving water. they were very lucky that someone was out there and was able to get to them quickly.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    beer batter with extra fine cornmeal has been my standard but the chicken i did was marinated and then rolled in a mixture of cornstarch, flour, and cornmeal and it got me to thinking it would be good on a fish fry. ill look for some soda water ones as well.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    ill give that a shot, thanks
    fukahwee maine

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Sorry, just pulled a 12# turkey and my mind was on the BGE not your batter question. We like zatarain's mix and just toss in bowl/bag with salt pepper shake and deep fry fish. Great on catfish.

http://www.shopfoodex.com/zatarains-orleans-seasoned-fish-breading-pouch-p-34583.html
  • thirdeye
    Options
    fishlessman,

Not to get off track here, but since you mentioned marinating before battering and frying, have you tried Bon-Ton Chicken? Also known as 25 hour chicken because of the long marinade time. It is one of the best fried chicken recipes I have ever had.

Richard, this is a great one for gizzards...give 'er a try. Martini optional.

Anyways, Gourmet Magazine printed this recipe in 2000 and it is now all over the internet, so here it is again. Read their notes about the saltiness. I cut back on the salt in the marinade a little.

25 Hour Chicken Bon-Ton Style Fried Chicken
    Gourmet Magazine - July 2000

Bilko's spice mix is a closely guarded secret, but Donna King shared with us its fundamental ingredients as well as the basic technique — a long marination, at least 24 hours. This results in some of the juiciest chicken we've ever eaten. The chicken must also rest five or ten minutes after being dredged in the seasoned flour to, as King told us, "get doughy." The Bon Ton recipe calls for Ac'cent (monosodium glutamate) in both the marinade and the dredging mixture. We tested it with and without, and the chicken mainly tasted saltier with the Ac'cent, which some people preferred.

For marinade
    1 qt water
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons cayenne
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    4 chicken breast halves, 4 thighs, and 4 drumsticks (all with skin and bones; 4 to 4 1/2 lb total)
    For frying
    About 12 cups vegetable oil
    For dredging
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon cayenne
    1 teaspoon white pepper

Marinate chicken: Whisk together all marinade ingredients in a large bowl.

Add chicken, making sure it is covered with marinade. Chill, covered, stirring twice, about 24 hours.
    Dredge and fry chicken: Heat 2 inches oil in a wide 8- to 9 1/2-quart pot over moderately high heat until a deep-fat thermometer registers 365 to 375°F. (Our pot was 12 inches wide and 5 inches deep; if you don’t have that wide a pot, you can fry the chicken in two batches.)

Meanwhile, whisk together all dredging ingredients in a large bowl. Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Dredge each piece of chicken in seasoned flour and put on a large baking sheet. Let stand about 10 minutes.

Fry chicken, turning a few times, 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown, then drain on a rack.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• bbqmyway
    Options
    iCE FISHING i THOUGHT YOU PUT ICE ON FISH TO KEEP THEM FRESH UNTIL YOU COULD CLEAN THEM, JUST KIDDING I WAS IN CANADA FOR A WHILE AND LOVED ICE FISHING. HOWERVER, THE COOK LOOKS GREAT. i HAVE SOME BABY BACKS ON NOW WITH ABOUT AN HOUR TO GO. mAY POST PICS IF I CAN FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Three things.

1. Does it not go against all things good in this world to put veg juice in a Guinness glass?

2. When you use your Egg on the frozen lake do you still use your "BGE Feet"?

3. When is BGE going to come up another ranking to inspire you to keep posting?
    You have blown away the "Platinum Egger" level.

Always enjoy your posts and photos.
    Thank you,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas