Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Italian Beef

Options
Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Publix had its sirloin tip roasts on sale for $2.99/lb... couldn't resist making a pot of Italian Beef. I posted this a few months ago and found lots of transplanted Chicagoan eggers...this time I kept the camera handy. Here we go...

italianbeef003.jpg
One 5lb sirloin tip roast well seasoned with kosher salt, pepper, oregano and thyme. I made a few slits on either side and stuffed some garlic slices deep inside (thanks to brother Jim in Chi-town for that tip)

Cooked indirect at 375-400 dome for 2hrs or until Polder read 130 in the center. Used a rack to make sure lots of juices collected below...

italianbeef004.jpg
Fully roasted and ready to slice. I cooked last night, let it cool, then wrapped the meat tightly and refrigerated overnight, and put in the freezer for a few hours before slicing today. Cooling firms up the meat, producing nice thin slices.

italianbeef005.jpg
Before going to bed I deglazed the roasting pan with 1.5 cups of beef stock. I broke up all the charred stuff and saved every last drop of this stuff- refrigerated with the roast.

italianbeef006.jpg
italianbeef007.jpg
Ready to slice... you need an electric slicer to do this well, but I've gotten away with an electric knife and even carved by hand...just do it across the grain and as thin as you can. Threw all the sliced meat into an 8qt+ stockpot along with the roasting juices from last night.

italianbeef011.jpg
Heated some olive oil in a large saute pan or wok and sauteed 6 smashed garlic cloves, 2-3 sliced medium onions, 2-3 sliced green peppers, and 2 red peppers, about 5-8 mins and threw all this into the pot. Added 1/4 cup chopped parsley, another cup of beef stock, 1.5 cups of chicken stock, and 1/4 cup dry white wine. I like to add a little more oregano and thyme at the beginning as well. Heated to simmer, 1 hour 15 minutes, then added salt and pepper to taste.

italianbeef014.jpg
The finished product...topped off with that elusive hot giardinera packed in oil that can only be found in Chicago and a few online spots. Now if I only had some Gonnella bread ...this is Publix french bread, they have some "Chicago rolls" that are small but look hard enough to withstand all the gravy. I'll try those next.

Enjoy!

- Marge

Comments

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    Hey Marge,That looks great :woohoo:
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    that looks great Hereis my post from when we did them for the super bowl. now the itialian Giardineria..... is another story i made my own because what i can find in the grocery store here (anderson s.c.) does not look what i have eaten. now i have never been to chicago but there is a pretty good itialian beef in cobb county ga and my giardinera was not even close to hot enough so where do you buy it or can you give me a better recepie than this....

Italian Giardineria
    2 Whole Bell Peppers, Green, Diced
    2 Whole Bell Peppers, Red, Diced
    8 Fresh Jalapeños, Sliced
    1 Stalk Celery
    1 Medium Carrots, Diced tomatoes
    1 Small Onion, Chopped
    1/2 Cup Cauliflower, Florets, Fresh
    1/2 Cup Water
    Water to cover
    2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Chopped
    1 Tbs Oregano, Dried
    1 Tbs Red Pepper, Flakes
    1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
    1 5 Ozs Jar Pimento Stuffed Green Olives, Chopped
    1 Cup White Vinegar
    1 Cup Olive Oil

Directions:
    1 Place into a bowl the green and red peppers, jalapenos, celery, carrots, onion, and cauliflower. Stir in salt, and fill with enough cold water to cover. Place plastic wrap or aluminum foil over the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.
    2 The next day, drain salty water, and rinse vegetables. In a bowl, mix together garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, black pepper, and olives. Pour in vinegar and olive oil, and mix well. Combine with vegetable mixture, cover, and refrigerate for 2 days before using.
    3 ***************************************************************

Source; via email from Richard Fl

thanks marge we did it because you inspired us... glad to see you at least still check in now and then ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Did you ever get around to adding more HOT to the jars? What was result if so?
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yea i did and it still was not hot enopugh i was going to add more but did not want to loose the look anymore than i already have

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Large Marge
    Options
    This is what it's all about my friends...
    italianbeef.jpg

My daughter's 2nd birthday party with about 25 guests (and 40 kids when you added it up...sheeesh!), 5lbs of beef slaughtered! My wife is not happy we're without serious leftovers!

I love it though - always enjoy entertaining. As for purchasing giardinera, I load up when I go to Chicago. I know of no better way. Bente your recipe looks good, I'll have to try it. Check out www.chicagosbeef.com/peppers.html it looks pretty good.
  • Large Marge
    Options
    Here is the link to Dell'Alpe foods, I found you can order direct from them. I have their hot giardiniera that I picked up last trip to Chicago. Very tasty. Highly recommend. Over and out!

- Marge
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    That looks delicious. Thanks for the link to giardiniera. I am a southern boy who got hooked on Chicago food on frequent business trips years ago. I am definitely to try your recipe.
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Just want to make sure. The beef was in with the other stuff for the additional hour and half?