Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butcher Block Top

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made a butcher block counter top for my nephew. Replaces a portion of his existing counter top. Not going to chop on it, so it's getting a couple more coats of varnish before installation. Maple with 16 segments (7 book matches) measures 26 x 37. Have some left over material and will probably make him a small one to use as a chopping block - would just oil the small one and make sure it is small enough to go in the dishwasher.

101_2045640x480.jpg

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Really nice work, but putting a wooden cutting board in the dishwasheer would prove to be a big mistake...

Rascal
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I guess I'm a little leary of bacteria that can linger on a wooden BB that's why I use plastic ones that can go in the dishwasher. I talked my nephew out of chopping on the counter top based on him not being able to clean it effectively by running it through the dishwasher (also because I didn't want him buggering it up :woohoo: ). Do you think it will fall apart over time? If so I can just build another one.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    This article about cleaning cutting boards is interesting:

http://faculty.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/faculty/docliver/Research/cuttingboard.htm

Spring "Samo Nella Free" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I think the heat and moisture would cause the board to warp and fail. Check out this link on cutting surfaces:
    http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/cutting_board.htm
  • Jeffro
    Options
    A good finish for cutting boards is mineral oil (the kind you find at the drugstore) and paraffin wax.

Heat the mineral oil on the stove and add about a block of shaved paraffin wax. While the oil/wax combination is still warm, wipe it on the surface of the cutting board. When it dries, it will have a wax buildup on the surface.

Buff the wax out and you are ready to go. As the finish wears, just repeat the application process.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    from what ive read, bacteria dies quickly on a wooden board, within minutes, and grows and multiplies on plastic boards, exactly opposite from what one would think. counter top looks nice
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I have always heard that wood cutting blocks were less likely to have bacteria than plastic ones. I have been cutting and chopping on wood for many years with no problems, other than the obvious mental ones.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Read both articles. Thanks for info lads and carbon units.

You don't know what you don't know. :ermm:
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    We have planked maple countertops. Every year or so I treat them with boiled linseed oil applied with bronze wool (which gets up a lot of gunk). I like the mineral oil and parrafin idea. JCA
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Your counter top is beautiful!
    Annual coatings of butcher block oil will help preserve and protect the woods integrity and help make a cutting board last many years. To clean a board I use warm water with a little dish soap and sponge clean followed by a rinse with cold water and drying with a clean cloth towel, then thoroughly air dry. Depending on usage I re-apply oil as needed.
    I use Titebond III, a waterproof glue to build breadboards and pizza servers. It's the best glue in my opinion for cutting boards also.
  • Scubadog
    Scubadog Posts: 100
    Options
    I've heard that cutting a lemon in half, rubbing down the block and then wiping off works to kill bacteria with citric acid. At least it's a natural solution .
  • Katodude00
    Options
    Get 2 spray bottles. One with vinegar and the other with hydrogen peroxide. Spray with one then the other. Will kill all bacteria, probably better than bleach. Also much less poisonous to us than bleach.