Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt for breakfast!

Options
davidm
davidm Posts: 64
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a nine-pound pork butt, slathered in JJ's rub and mustard, on my large at 6 p.m. last night. It was the biggest I've ever smoked, but boneless and kind of flat when I laid it out on the raised grid over firebricks and a drip pan.[p]I've done five or six before, and they all took about two hours per pound at an average temp of about 240. So I was real surprised when I went out at 6 a.m. (actually 7 with the time change) and found the Polder reading 206![p]I tested the temperature with an instant-read thermometer. The same. So I pulled my guest off the Egg, wrapped him in foil, and he's getting pulled in about a half hour, by which time he'll have been off the grill for 45 minutes. Gotta get cracking on Elder Ward's vinegar finishing sauce.[p]Who wants eggs for breakfast when one can have pig!![p]David

Comments

• davidm,
    please post information about Elder Wards vinagar finishing sauce. Sounds interesting!

• davidm
    Options
    mvernon, here it is. It's in the recipe section, too, under Elder Ward's pulled pork.[p] 1 C white vinegar
    · 1 C cider vinegar
    · 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    · 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    · 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    · 1 tsp. kosher salt
    · 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
    Makes 2 Cups[p]Place in a bottle with small neck that will allow you to shake it out a little at a time.[p]Cheers![p]David[p]

• davidm
    Options
    Just pulled the beast, and it came out great! I think the butcher must have pulled out a great deal of the interior fat when he boned it, because there was remarkably little waste. Or maybe all the fat rendered out on its way to 206.[p]Either way, it tastes wonderful, and my girlfriend is VERY impressed![p]I do wonder if boning and flattening slightly would be a topic for further research for people who would like to reduce the cooking time to 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours/pound...[p]David

• Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    pork-dinner.JPG
    <p />davidm,

We got to get you posting some pictures, i'm starved.LOL You forgot to mention the outter bark, was it overdone & how was the flavor?
    These are two i cooked up for the moose hunting camp. Beats standing over the stove when everyone else has gone fishing.
    Now i can't go hunting unless i bring it.[p]Earl

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    davidm,[p]Yes!! Thickness is more important than weight in determining cooking time. [p]Cathy
  • davidm
    Options
    Earl,[p]You know, I was going to, but I was so surprised to see that beast done that I plumb forgot about the photos![p]The bark was very good; some of the edges seemed a little dry at first, but shaped up nicely when they were mixed and sauced. The flavor was really wonderful, and that nine-pound butt yielded more than a gallon of meat. The upstairs neighbors get a treat today!![p]Cheers,[p]David