Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Tacos al Pastor: revisted

greenheadgreenhead Posts: 26
edited 8:51PM in EggHead Forum
Sorry, no pictures...I had an extra pork sirloin roast, so, I decided to retry the recipe I made last week, and change it up a little. Here are the original list of ingredients, with any changes I made:

3 California chiles
1 ancho chile (used 2)
1 guajillo chile (used 2)
1 cascabel chile (still can't find these)
1 chile de árbol (spicy, used 10)
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar (used 2T)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (used 1T)
1 teaspoon sea salt (used 4T Kosher Salt)
1 clove garlic (used 4 closed)
2 tablespoons salt (none)
3/4 teaspoon pepper (~1t)
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt (~1t garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano (used 2T)
1/4 teaspoon achiote condimentada (seasoned achiote paste) (2T Hot Hungarian paprika instead)
1 onion, sliced thin, divided
5 pounds boneless pork butt, cut into 8 chunks (2 lb Roast)
1/2 pineapple, peeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick,and cut into quarters

My method changed a bit. I dredged the roast and marinated for 48 hours instead of 24. I then took the marinated roast, cut 3 slits in it, slid pineapple into the slits, then wrapped the roast in bacon, placed in a cast iron dutch oven, and coated the roast with the remaining marinade. I also added 2 slices of bacon to the dutch oven to get some more fat in the dish.

I set the egg at 300, indirect, placesetter legs up, on the grill, in the dutch oven (without the dutch oven lid) for a little under 2 hours, with some pecan smoke. The roast came out 100x more flavorful than the butt I did last weekend.

I'll retry this in a few weeks with a butt, take pictures, and let you all know how it turns out.
·

Comments

• That sounds great! I am making the marinade tonight. I bought 3 lbs of pork butt and I am planning to marinate it from Wed-Fri and cook it Friday night. Thanks for the recipes. I'll post mine once I figure out exactly what I am going to do :)
    ·