Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tacos al Pastor: revisted

Options
greenhead
greenhead Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sorry, no pictures...I had an extra pork sirloin roast, so, I decided to retry the recipe I made last week, and change it up a little. Here are the original list of ingredients, with any changes I made:

3 California chiles
1 ancho chile (used 2)
1 guajillo chile (used 2)
1 cascabel chile (still can't find these)
1 chile de árbol (spicy, used 10)
1 bay leaf
3/4 cup orange juice
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tablespoon white vinegar (used 2T)
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (used 1T)
1 teaspoon sea salt (used 4T Kosher Salt)
1 clove garlic (used 4 closed)
2 tablespoons salt (none)
3/4 teaspoon pepper (~1t)
3/4 teaspoon garlic salt (~1t garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon Mexican oregano (used 2T)
1/4 teaspoon achiote condimentada (seasoned achiote paste) (2T Hot Hungarian paprika instead)
1 onion, sliced thin, divided
5 pounds boneless pork butt, cut into 8 chunks (2 lb Roast)
1/2 pineapple, peeled, sliced 1/2-inch thick,and cut into quarters

My method changed a bit. I dredged the roast and marinated for 48 hours instead of 24. I then took the marinated roast, cut 3 slits in it, slid pineapple into the slits, then wrapped the roast in bacon, placed in a cast iron dutch oven, and coated the roast with the remaining marinade. I also added 2 slices of bacon to the dutch oven to get some more fat in the dish.

I set the egg at 300, indirect, placesetter legs up, on the grill, in the dutch oven (without the dutch oven lid) for a little under 2 hours, with some pecan smoke. The roast came out 100x more flavorful than the butt I did last weekend.

I'll retry this in a few weeks with a butt, take pictures, and let you all know how it turns out.

Comments

• All over the map
    Options
    That sounds great! I am making the marinade tonight. I bought 3 lbs of pork butt and I am planning to marinate it from Wed-Fri and cook it Friday night. Thanks for the recipes. I'll post mine once I figure out exactly what I am going to do :)