Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken pieces

Options
searay
searay Posts: 11
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have some thigh quarters and breasts coated with mustard, hot sauce and rub to put on the egg tonight. Temp? Time? Direct or indirect? Have not done grilled chicken on the egg yet - only whole chickens on my chicken rocket. Need a little help so I do not dry them out. Not in a hurry, so I could take my time with them. Thanks.

Comments

• ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    Options
    Go direct on a raised grid at 450 for about an hour maybe more. Flip every 20 min. Keep an eye on the breasts. You may have to pull those early so they don't dry out.
    Happy Eggin'
    Amaury
  • Essex County
    Options
    searay,

Your prep sounds great and ATX's suggestions are fine. That's the "hot" method. Alternatively, you could go indirect at 300 for a little less than 2 hours. Try both and see what you like. I still haven't settled on one approach to chicken.

Paul
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    The first time I cooked some chicken pieces, I tried to use the same temp I use on the oven inside: 350 deg. They were done with the plate setter and a drip pan and came out just fine. You may want to crank the temps a bit or go direct at the end to crisp up the skin a bit. That's what I did to get the chicken (just thighs for the first cook...) crispy. Haven't tried one of those 450 deg cooks yet, but I'll be doing that in the near future.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Did some bird parts my self tonight. See my post "Egg sacrifice" for how I did it.
  • Jabbo
    Jabbo Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm new to the Egg (got it Saturday) and new to the forum. I cooked chicken parts last nite. Simply seasoned them, got the Egg to 375, direct heat put them on closed the lid and did not open it for 20 minutes. Flipped 'em over cooked them for another 25 minutes took them off and let them rest covered. UNBELIEVABLE! First time that I ever cooked chicken on a grill that was not either burnt or raw.