Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? for Expirienced Eggheads!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey, I'm looking to purchase a big green egg locally, but the prices are so much better online that I negotiated for 5 free eggcessories. In all you eggheads opinions what are the 5 most useful eggcessories you have purchased? I guess what I'm saying what are the 5 eggcessories in which you have gotten the greatest amount of use out of? What can't you guys live without?

Comments

• ATX
    ATX Posts: 98
    Options
    Platesetter, Raised Grid, Ash Tool, Grate Lifter, Pizza Stone, in that order.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Best accessory: your local dealer.

You do realize you just lost your lifetime warranty, don't you?
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    ash tool
    grid lifter
    plate setter
    pizza stone
    eggnest unless you are using a table, then a raised grid
  • Braddog
    Braddog Posts: 212
    Options
    1. Platesetter
    2. Ash Tool
    3. Raised Grid
    4. Grid Lifter
    5. Pizza stone

Good luck and welcome to the club!

Braddog
  • Skippy,
    you are getting responses over at the 'new' forum here:[p]

[ul][li]your post on the new forum[/ul]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Skippy,
    You should realize that if you buy an Egg online, your warrantee from the manufacturer is voided. You will have to rely on the online dealer to provide you with all warrantee claims service. If they don't, you won't be able to go to Big Green Egg for service. See www.biggreenegg.com for verification. Good luck![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    What-a-ya gonna do when the fire ring breaks from thermal shock -- which it will do?
    What-a-ya gonna do when the fire ring crumbles from thermal shock -- which it will do?

So -- to answer your question, my five favorite accessories are --

5th -- Warranty
    4th -- Warranty
    3rd -- Warranty
    2nd -- Warranty
    1st -- Warranty

My Medium Egg is 16 months old. My firering is broken, and my firbox just cracked its firt crack. My dealer has ordered the parts -- which costs me nothing.

When they break again -- which they will eventually do -- he'll order them again.

Buying on line voids your warranty. Has the online guy told you that?

~ Good luck!

~ Broc
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    best eggcessory for the new egger is a thermopen, in that order. imho.
    [although it is somewhat unusual to see the word humble associated with me :)
  • Wow, relax I am purchasing from a local authorized dealer man. I just negotiated from an almost $250 higher price. I do realize that purchasing online is a void of warranty this is why I am purchasing it locally. Not to mention another $100 in taxes to be paid locally.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    LOL! I just re-read your post and now I see what you were saying. It was a bit confusing. Never mind about the warrantee. Good luck and get cooking!
    The Naked Whiz
  • WestCoastBarbeque
    Options
    Platesetter, extended grid, cast iron grid, thermapen, BBQ Guru...
    Options
    guys! you need to reread the post. he is saying he talked the local storefront dealer into giving him more stuff based on the quoated online lower price for an egg.

please don't run this guy off because you can't read :woohoo:
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    We can read, we just can't comprehend, lol. His post did leave a bit of doubt as to what he really meant. Of course, no one was trying to run him off, anyway, just save him from losing his warrantee, a noble purpose.
    The Naked Whiz
    Options
    i know, i know...

i know, i know.

i no

i knoe

i :silly:
  • Broc
    Options
    Sorreeeee --

Mea culpa!

It's the first day with my new brain -- and the stitches haven't healed, yet!

:silly:

~ Broc
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Good catch, Rick. Easy to forget.
  • Sorry for the poor wording guys! Now that we have that settled a bit let me reword. I have actually already agreed to the price that I will pay a local authorized dealer for my big green egg (large). Because there was such a large discrepency between the price from the local dealer and an online purchase the dealer has agreed to give me 5 eggcessories with my egg. What are the 5 most useful eggcessories in you guy's expirience?
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Sorry, I too misread your post.

Mose used accessory = platesetter
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    Plate setter, V-rack, pizza stone. Would a mini considered to be an eggcessory? Glad you found us, learn to post pics. BTW, come to an eggfest.

Mike
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    I'm probably the only one with this opinion, but I think the grid lifter tool is a waste. I can pick up my grid with my ash tool any time. I think the ash tool sells for about $25.00. JMHO.

My priority would be:

Plate setter
    rib/roast rack
    cast iron grid (although I don't have one yet)
    ash tool
    Thermapen Thermometer
    Maverick ET 73 Thermometer
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Mike,There is no reason it should not be!LMAO. Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Man oh man have you ever got a nice dealer!!!

EXTENDED GRILL .... chicken without it = flames
  • Skippy
    Skippy Posts: 2
    Options
    I wish a mini did count as an eggcessory. I would quickly get 5 of them....heh.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    1. Plate setter
    2. Grate extender
    3. Ash tool
    4. An instant-read thermometer of sorts (I'm currently using a cheapie Polder)
    5. MAPP gas torch for lighting the lump
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    By Eggsessarys I am assuming product made or sponsered by BGE. 1: platesetter 2: Ash tool 3: Dutch oven 4: Digital probe thermometer (The one you leave probe in meat and read out sets out side) I prefer a wireless but BGE doesn't make one that I know of. 5: Grill extender. I don't have the grill extender myself because it will not work with the inverted platseter. Will not fit up inside dome. I made one for my medium out of a smalls which is 2 inches smaller than my stock grill. Lets it extend up inside dome. But as long as free get it. Also I didn't mention the nest and mate cause doubt he will throw them in but if he will and not getting a table then diffanantly go for mate and nest as accessary. Build a pad for the Egg and good to go. You can see my pad for Egg if you click my name and go to profile. Would have listed the thermometer and grill extender higher but there are simular products out there that do a better job IMO.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I think you're getting good recommendations here, Skip. My list:

Plate setter - a must for indirect cooking
    V-rack - for ribs (inverted) and loins
    Elevated grate - great capacity extender
    Digital thermometer - get one that can stand up to the temps in the BGE
    Grill light - for overnight cooks
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Skippy,[p]My most important accessory is the valid lifetime warranty.[p]Kent
  • Broc
    Options
    Sorry for my sarcasm... I really did misunderstand you.

Glad you have a good dealer!

I'm assuming you're getting the daisy wheel and ash tool as part of the basic deal. If not -- The Daisy Wheel is absolutely mandatory!

1. Platesetter -- Numero Uno
    2. Cast Iron Grid -- Numero Dos [lots of people will disagree -- I really like to use the cast iron grill!
    3. Electric fire starter... I detest all cubes [including Weber & BGE... they DO leave chemical taste in the food, unless you wait 13 hours 27 minutes after starting to put in the food.

Zheesh! I've been told a million times to stop exaggerating!
    B)

Hmmmmm... that's all I have... I have since bought a grid extender... and a vertical chicken roaster a-la-beer-can. I'll give away the vertical beer can roaster to anyone who wants it... but it probably isn't worth postage. I prefer to spatchcock...

I don't use a metal nest.
    I don't use a built-in table. I have built an outdoor kitchen with sink, electric [not too close together...] and plenty of table space, and my Eggs sit on little platforms right next to the L-shaped table.

How about Man-Sized Oven Mitts...?

Try to get him to throw in a Polder -- or even a Mini...

Best!

~ Broc
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Oooooh, that's a good idea. A mini... Best Choice.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    Options
    I would assume that you are getting a Daisy Wheel, correct?

I would go with:

Plate Setter
    Raised Grid
    Ash Tool
    Pizza Stone
    Grate Lifter

Greg