Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey Breast

Options
Hooter
Hooter Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Turkey Breast cooking tonight, but I have 2 questions:[p]1) I'm thinking about cooking at a higher temperature, i.e. 350 degrees since it's a lean cut of meat. Is that about right?[p]2) Going to use some pecan chunks for smoke, but I've been having trouble keeping smoke going for more than about 30 minutes. I'm soaking chunks for about 30 minutes. Any advice to keeping smoke going longer?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Options
    Hooter,[p]I've smoked turkey breasts at temps from 250 to 350. Just keep the Polder in and take the breast off the heat at 165 degrees internal. I use a raised grid and cook direct. Some folks like to go indirect.[p]Don't worry about keeping the smoke going for too long. The turkey will absorb a lot of smoke, until the external temperature of the meat gets to 140 or so. I find that the lower the dome temperature, the more smoke is absorbed.[p]Another thing you might try is to put the turkey on before you stabilize the temperature at 325 or 350. Light the fire, put on the chips, replace the grid and put on the turkey. Stabilize the temperature at 325 and you'll find the turkey has absorbed maximum smoke because it was exposed to it at lower temps.[p]Have fun![p]David
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Hooter, You might try wrapping the wood with some heavy foil and then add to fire. That will make it last longer.
    Be sure to leave an escape hole for the smoke in the foil.[p]Marv