Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP PLEASE Egg stuck...

Options
Other Wise
Other Wise Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My egg lid will not open and not sure how to get it open. Any ideas?

Comments

• otis
    otis Posts: 20
    Options
    Other Wise,[p]stuff some newspaper in the bottom vent, or a fire starter and light it and it should thaw the lid after a little while. the felt is probaly frozen

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    Other Wise,
    Light another fire in it by opening slide vent and or dropping firestarter in through the top. Hopefully you should have enough lump left over to get temp to 400 or so. Should be warm enough at that temp to pry it apart. If it doesn't, wait a little longer, or use a paint scraper of other sharp straight object to pry lid off. Making sure to work a little all the way around the egg.

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Other Wise,
    Use CAUTION if prying... the gasket may let loose. The preferred method is thawing. I've hauled mine into the house when it was really bad. Not pretty. I have pictures of it sitting in the kitchen. LOL![p]Usually you can get a fire going again and let it thaw on it's own. I have used my weed burned to light it and then I heated up the outside with the weed burner... 10-15 minutes and you are back in business.[p]Mike in MN

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Other Wise,
    I am embarassed to repeat this method as it is so fundamental. I have used it since it was posted long ago.[p]Lower a utility light down through the hole in the top.[p]We all have one in our shop.[p]In fact, if I am going to cook tomorrow, I place the light in the egg the night before.[p][p]

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Other Wise,[p]If you can avoid it do not pry the lid open for several reasons.[p]The light bulb idea is very good. [p]If you have starter cubes put 1 in the bottom vent and 1 in the top vent.[p]It took me about 10 minutes for the lid to release.[p]If no starter cubes then get a napkin and put a good amount of vegitable oil on the napkin (not a dripping napkin). For the bottom use some tinfoil to put the oiled napkin on. Bend edges up if you have a concern - think of a mini drip pan.[p]Put in lower vent and light. You will generate a lot of heat and the gasket will release.[p]Good cookin.[p]Kent