Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No-Knead Bread: My Picturementary (thanks Spaceman Spiff for the inspiration)

Options
TRex
TRex Posts: 2,714
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
noknead_bread_6_web.jpg
<p />Spaceman Spiff replied to my bread machine inquiry a few days ago by pointing me towards this "no knead" bread recipe, which first appeared in the NY Times in November of 2006, courtesy of Jim Lahey of Sullivan Street Bakery.[p]I decided to give it a try. I found a good website with some detailed instructions - I attached the link below. [p]What follows is the picturementary of my own experience, for those who are interested. Oh, yeah, I baked it in the Egg this time, simply because we're out of lump, but now that I've seen the results I'll probably try it on the Egg next time.[p]I took 3 cups of all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast, and 1.5 cups of lukewarm water. Mixed together in a large bowl until the flour was all wetted. This took about 5 minutes total. Here is what it looked like:[p]noknead_bread_1_web.jpg[p]Now, I covered this and let it rest and rise in the microwave for 10 hours. This is what it looked like after 10 hours:[p]noknead_bread_2_web.jpg[p]At this point, I stirred it down (took 1 minute) and then let it rise for another 14 hours, after which it looked like this:[p]noknead_bread_3_web.jpg[p]At this point, I stirred it down again, then I dumped it out onto a piece of parchment paper, folded up the four sides and flipped it over (took about 3 minutes). This is what it looked like:[p]noknead_bread_4_web.jpg[p]I pulled the edges of the parchment paper and made a tent over the dough and let it rest for 2 more hours, after which it looked like this:[p]noknead_bread_5_web.jpg[p]At this point I took the baking vessel, my dad's Lodge porcelain-coated cast iron dutch oven with lid, and put it in the oven on the middle rack, and started preheating the oven to 475 degrees. This is what the dutch oven looks like (I think it's a 5 quart oven???):[p]noknead_bread_9_web.jpg[p]After the oven had preheated, I removed the top of the dutch oven, dumped the dough in, put the cover back on, and set the timer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, I removed the lid from the dutch oven, then let the bread bake for 20 more minutes. Then I removed the dutch oven, pulled the loaf out and set it out to cool, and as it did so you could hear the cracking and popping indicative of a nice crust:[p]noknead_bread_6_web.jpg[p]noknead_bread_7_web.jpg[p]The bread was excellent, just like you want a crusty bread: nice hard crust, chewy, bubbly interior. Went perfectly with my dad's marina, and all this with only about 15 minutes of actual work. Will definitely be doing this again, next time on the Egg. A couple more pics:[p]noknead_bread_8_web.jpg[p]noknead_bread_10_web.jpg[p]Check out the link - I pretty much followed this guy's directions to a T, with great results. Only thing I would change is maybe to add more salt next time.[p]Cheers![p]TRex
[ul][li]Another No-Knead Bread Picturementary[/ul]

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    TRex,
    I'm hanging out next door and see this. posted over here none the less. I had to come back for a little while and let you know that it looks fabulous. What type of flour and yeast did you use?
    Mike[p]

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    TRex,
    Here is a variation for your consideration, next time. I really liked the results.[p]The following was offered in Cooks Illustrated as being the way to get a dough that was easier to handle and had a better flavor of the crumb (not the crust).[p]This is just a little less liquid and with the addition of beer (must be larger style for the fermentation process used and the kind of yeast) and vinegar. [p]Add
    ¾ cup + 2 tbsp water
    ¼ cup + 2 tbsp larger beer
    1 tbsp white vinegar[p]This is a total of 21 tbsp versus 24 in the original, but you can tell the difference in the consistency of the dough.[p]After the long rise, you need to knead the bread 10 – 15 times, but this only takes few seconds. I liked the results.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nice!
    Bread still kicks my ass every time, but in an effort to increase my base knowledge, I just got a replacement for my fire-damaged "On Food and Cooking"....the same book Cornfed just got. When I got my new book I immediately dug into the "breads" section. Learned a lot! Just explains stuff like you never think of when trying to go by a recipe. The hows and whys yaknow.[p]Anyways, for "salt", McGee says the salt is not just for balancing the taste....that it "tightens the gluten network and improves the volume of the finished loaf." Why do you think you needed more salt?? Need more loft, or just think it wudda tasted better?? [p]Also, how you got so much loft without kneading was not covered in this book. What gives? Kneading also supposedly strengthens the gluten network, and develops bonds between neighboring proteins. Use more salt to compensate for the lack of kneading?? Sorry for the pesky questions, but I'm just a right brained artist trying to learn some science so I can be creative with a medium that I don't understand! One day I wanna cook bread like you and ClayQ.[p]Beers...and bread!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Very nice, Jason. The no knead is something I've been wanting to try for a while and your shots are pushing me over the edge. Hopefully there will be time to try that recipe this weekend.

My best to you and your family for a fantastic 2008!

john
  • TRex
    Options
    Mike in Abita,[p]Thanks Mike. I used King Arthur "100% Organic Select Artisan All-Purpose Flour" and Fleischmann's "Rapid Rise" yeast.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex[p]
  • TRex
    Options
    BobS,[p]That sounds interesting - I will have to try it. Thanks for the suggestion![p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex,
    beautiful![p]interesting cooling rack... looks kinda familiar[p]that hunk of cheese reminds me of something we came up with a couple nights ago...[p]'instant cheesecake' or 'cheesecake in your mouth'
    take a piece of 25 year old sharp cheddar and put a glob of nutella on there. place on a graham cracker and there you have it.

• TRex
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Chris, I am a self-proclaimed dummy when it comes to baking. About a year ago I decided I needed to expand my cooking knowledge, specifically in that area. [p]Well, I haven't progressed much. I can make a great cookie, the occasional cake, and I have been avoiding bread just because it is, well, in my opinion, more of an art than a science (of course, I could debate this with myself because I think science, by its very nature, is art, but anyway . . .)[p]I can still very clearly remember when my dad went through his bread baking phase when I was a child - he had the Tassahara Bread Baking book, and read it like the Bible. He turned out some good stuff, but not without a labor of love, I mean, to the point of thinking, wow, this is more about the journey than the destination.[p]So, I was naturally attracted to the prospect of this "miracle bread," but I am afraid (after all of this rambling), that I cannot answer your question as to how the bread "lofted" so well without the kneading. I thought maybe it had something to do with the 26 total hours of rising time, but I dunno.[p]Regarding the salt, I think it needed more for taste - my tastes (and my dad's, as he mentioned it too) could stand a bit more salt in the overall flavor.[p]Try this, man. Super easy and great results, especially if you like a traditional crusty bread.[p]Cheers,[p]Jason[p]
  • TRex
    Options
    Rick's Tropical Delight,[p]LOL - you didn't realize all the uses that wing holder has, did you?[p]That instant cheesecake is believable - Nutella, after all, is the miracle spread.[p]Cheers,[p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    Thanks John. I look forward to playing with this base recipe to add other flavors, maybe try whole wheat, but really with a bowl of soup or marinara with spaghetti this stuff is perfect. My favorite part was listening to the crust crackle as it cooled.

My best to you and yours as well

jason
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    TRex,
    Oh man, that is super bread. Your pic's are a journey into the sublime of culinary adventure. I'm thinking Dutch oven in the egg at 500 degrees next time. Or just on the pizza stone..... your in a brick oven with the egg.

• WooDoggies
    Options
    I agree. Theres nothing like fresh bread with soups and sauces.
    We've been playing with whole wheat flour a lot this year trying to replace regular flour in a lot of our recipes.
    If you come up with a good whole wheat flour recipe for this bread, please let me know. Thanks Bud!

john
  • WooDoggies
    Options
    I agree. Theres nothing like fresh bread with soups and sauces.
    We've been playing with whole wheat flour a lot this year trying to replace regular flour in a lot of our recipes.
    If you come up with a good whole wheat flour recipe for this bread, please let me know. Thanks Bud!

john
  • TRex
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Yeah, I was wondering if I could go in the Egg without the dutch oven - the reasoning behind the dutch oven, according to the recipes I've read, is for extra moisture retention - the "oven within an oven" effect. Like you said, though, the Egg doesn't struggle with moisture retention - maybe straight on the stone on parchment paper would be the way to go.[p]Have you tried this recipe?[p]Cheers![p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    I'm thinking starting with a half & half approach: 1.5 cups all purpose, 1.5 cups whole wheat. I've done this approach with cookies with success.

jason
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    Jason,[p]I've played with AB's bread suggestions in his book, and liked the results.[p]As you probably know, he goes for a long fermentation in the fridge, which he sez develops a wonderful yeasty flavor. I really like that flavor.[p]It seems that this method might also give time for that yeasty flavor to develop. [p]You mentioned the bread had a wonderful flavor, but I am wondering, yeasty? Complex? Pleasing?[p]Looks great, my man![p]DD
  • Sneezix
    Options
    TRex wrote:
    I'm thinking starting with a half & half approach: 1.5 cups all purpose, 1.5 cups whole wheat. I've done this approach with cookies with success.

jason

I've done this same recipe, substituting 1/2 c of whole wheat flour for 1/2 c of the white flour,
    and cooked it in a dutch oven in the egg. I liked it better than all white.

I didn't get the crackling effect, though. I may not have had the egg up to 500F...

I was already planning on making a loaf of this tonight. :)

Frank
  • Clay Q
    Options
    IMG_3804.jpg
    <p />TRex,
    Careful with salt in the dough, it can retard the blossom of yeast. Hit the bread with salt on the crust for more flavor.

BGESourDoughBread3_07016.jpg

• TRex
    Options
    DobieDad,[p]The best way I can describe the flavor is to say "rustic" or "wholesome." I'm not sure that "yeasty" comes first to mind - there's not much "sweet" to it. There is a slight pleasing bitterness to the crust. The flavor is not incredibly deep, but appropriate, I think, for a crusty bread intended to go alongside a soup or sauce.[p]But then again, as I told Nature Boy, I am a self-proclaimed dummy when it comes to baking, so I'm not really sure what to say. I do know I will do it again, and try a whole wheat version, and maybe throw in some pine nuts or something, who knows.[p]Cheers![p]TRex
  • TRex
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Thanks Clay - see, I wouldn't have known that. Great tip - makes perfect sense.[p]Beautiful photos, by the way.[p]
  • DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    TRex,[p]Thanks![p]You and Clay have my taste buds longing for bread.[p]I've never eaten your or Clay's food, but if a photograph translates to flavor, you guys are top chefs.[p]I've got all the ingredients here. So if I clean the new snow off the deck and my Eggs tomorrow, I will give it a try.[p]DD
  • TRex
    Options
    Cool, Frank - thanks for that encouragement. I will definitely do it next time.

T
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Good explanation Jason. Actually, McGee does talk quite a bit about the benefits of a slow rise. Better flavor (less off flavors) and better texture. He also mentioned what happens if you put too much salt in....but I can't find that now. Wonder if you added salt to satisfy you and Pop's tastebuds, maybe you'd blow the texture you achieved??[p]I'll try that recipe soon. It looks really good, and like I might learn sumthin just by doin it! I have a feeling once I cook 20 more loaves (maybe cooked a dozen in my life), that I might be gittin somewhere and start to see some patterns. Been fun....I am out of steam. Nighty night!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Sneezix
    Options
    Ok, I've got a bun[1] in the oven[2].

[1] More of a loaf, really
    [2] The microwave oven, resting until it goes on the Egg tomorrow

:laugh:
  • Clay Q
    Options
    TRex,
    No, haven't tried it yet but I have read about 'no kneed' bread and I should try it sometime. Looks like slack bread with high hydration,....ciabatta style bread.[p]The Irish bake rye bread in the Dutch oven and I have baked in the egg using a Dutch oven with soda bread. Turned out ok but would have been fine on the pizza stone also. One thing I'll be looking into is clay ovens for baking, I guess they work well for breads. Some day I'll be getting another egg and it will be dedicated to baking only.
    Anyhow, bread is special to me, it is a true form of creative art...with a little magic thrown in. Ha!
    Nice work my friend.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    ClayQ, You are my hero!
    My god that is beautiful.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • TRex
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I'm definitely going to take Clay's advice and just salt the crust, so as not to mess up the rising. I think I'll also go 50/50 with whole wheat flour. That sounds like enough changin' for me for the next iteration. We'll see how it goes.[p]BTW, what if I let it rise 30 hours instead of 26? I'm just wonderin' when the law of diminishing returns starts to dominate . .. .[p]Late night thinkin',[p]T
  • TRex
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Thanks for the further input - your pictures have sure inspired me to do more experimenting.[p]High hydration,[p]T
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    TRex,
    The salt actually retards the yeast as well as giving flavor, so you really need to follow the directions on the amounts of both. The kneading can cause formation of the gluten in the dough, but so can the extended time with excess moisture. There is a pretty good explanation in the issue of Cooking Illustrated that I mentioned.

• Clay Q
    Options
    TRex,
    Be sure to use salt in the dough,..... extra can go on the crust. No salt in the dough will give you a weak gluten structure, you want it strong. I don't want you to think that I suggest salt on the crust only.
    Well that's it for me tonight, time to hit the hay.