Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork on LBGE

Options
Juicy
Juicy Posts: 10
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm making pulled pork next week for a work Christmas pig out. My problem is I'm short on time. I have an 8 pound butt, and only 12 to 13 hours of time to get it done. Any suggestions, or should I take some time off to impress the co-workers?

Comments

• Juicy,[p]part of the fun of the Egg is learning to relax. Have a cold one and take some time for you and your butt. Impress us with your cooking skills
  • randomegger
    Options
    Juicy,
    I have an almost ten pounder on right now and it will be done around 3 or 4 this afternoon. 12 hours is plenty. Just bump the heat up a tad higher than most eggers would recommend. You may still have a bit of unrendered fat cap when you're done but folks will still rave about it...[p]RE

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Juicy,
    personally unless your intent is to take the butt to work and pull it in front of them (which I wouldn't suggest as some people get squeamish in seeing the internal fat) then why not cook it when you have plenty of time to do it right? If close to the day of the eating then you can just refrigerate the pulled pork and reheat it in a crock pot the day of the feast...or if longer then freeze it. I've had p/p that has been frozen for months!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Juicy
    Juicy Posts: 10
    Options
    randomegger,[p]That's what I was thinking. What temp. are you at right now? Is there a temp. you won't go over?
  • randomegger
    Options
    Juicy,
    The butt is at about 180 right now and has been on for about 9 hours or so. I haven't calibrated my egg thermometers so I can't even begin to tell you the temp but I would guess it around 275 or so - just below 300, which is where I would draw the line...
    RE