Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Pork tenderloin

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a Christmas Opne House on the 15th and need to smoke 10 - 12 pork ternderloins. Suggestions? Prep and temp?

Comments

• MickeyTMickeyT Posts: 607
    Sea Ray,[p]They are by far one of the easiest items to do on the egg. i would just drizzle with your favorite rub, throw em' on the egg at 350 until you hit 140. let rest and carve away.[p]I do these lot.[p]Lawn Ranger does a killer tenderloin. Maybe if he can put down his hammer for a few minutes, maybe he'll chime in.[p]Good luck man.[p]mick

• Sea Ray,
    The pork tenderloins sealed in the cryovac can be VERY salty, especially the flavored ones (garlic & herb, mesquite, etc.) I wouldn't bother with those.[p]So, look for the plain wrapped tenderloins, or get them from a butcher shop. I look for tenderloins with more dark colored meat. It's richer, more flavorful, and fork cutting tender. I don't smoke them, rather, I grill/cook them until they are almost done, then let them rest. I would use my favorite salt/pepper blend of seasoning and fresh crushed garlic, rubbed with olive oil over the loin roasts. I would cut many slits and push in a chunk of sliced fresh garlic with a fresh leaf of basil over the entire roast.[p]About half way through the cook, as you flip and move the roasts around, I like to spritz/squeeze fresh lime on them.... It cools any fatty areas that are crisping up too much, and it adds a nice flavor to the pork.[p]I'd sear them first, and then finish off at a lower cooking temp... probably doing a few at a time until I had enough meat cooked and I'd let them rest in a warm cooler wrapped in foil and towels.

• amini1amini1 Posts: 105
    Sea Ray,[p]Regradless of how you cook them be sure to brine them for about an hour. I grill them like Mike in MN rather than smoke them. Cook to 140 or 145 degrees internal and let them rest for 5 minutes. They're great at room temp or even cold also. I usually just rub them with something like Dizzy Pig of any sorts.
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Mike in MN,[p]Are you talking about tenderloins or a loin roast?
  • to all:[p]Thanks for all of your comments. I grill them all of the time and have never smoked a pork tenderloin. Sounds like the general consensus is to grill and not smoke. I also like the plain ones the best - tried a seasoned one once, and did not like it. Only reason I was thinking about smoking them, is b/c I have to do so many. But they are easy enough to grill. Think I will do them the day before the party and then take out of the frig to come to romm temp the day of the party - unless someone has a better idea.