Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork tenderloin

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a Christmas Opne House on the 15th and need to smoke 10 - 12 pork ternderloins. Suggestions? Prep and temp?

Comments

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Options
    Sea Ray,[p]They are by far one of the easiest items to do on the egg. i would just drizzle with your favorite rub, throw em' on the egg at 350 until you hit 140. let rest and carve away.[p]I do these lot.[p]Lawn Ranger does a killer tenderloin. Maybe if he can put down his hammer for a few minutes, maybe he'll chime in.[p]Good luck man.[p]mick

• Mike in MN
    Options
    Sea Ray,
    The pork tenderloins sealed in the cryovac can be VERY salty, especially the flavored ones (garlic & herb, mesquite, etc.) I wouldn't bother with those.[p]So, look for the plain wrapped tenderloins, or get them from a butcher shop. I look for tenderloins with more dark colored meat. It's richer, more flavorful, and fork cutting tender. I don't smoke them, rather, I grill/cook them until they are almost done, then let them rest. I would use my favorite salt/pepper blend of seasoning and fresh crushed garlic, rubbed with olive oil over the loin roasts. I would cut many slits and push in a chunk of sliced fresh garlic with a fresh leaf of basil over the entire roast.[p]About half way through the cook, as you flip and move the roasts around, I like to spritz/squeeze fresh lime on them.... It cools any fatty areas that are crisping up too much, and it adds a nice flavor to the pork.[p]I'd sear them first, and then finish off at a lower cooking temp... probably doing a few at a time until I had enough meat cooked and I'd let them rest in a warm cooler wrapped in foil and towels.

• amini1
    amini1 Posts: 105
    Options
    Sea Ray,[p]Regradless of how you cook them be sure to brine them for about an hour. I grill them like Mike in MN rather than smoke them. Cook to 140 or 145 degrees internal and let them rest for 5 minutes. They're great at room temp or even cold also. I usually just rub them with something like Dizzy Pig of any sorts.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Mike in MN,[p]Are you talking about tenderloins or a loin roast?
  • to all:[p]Thanks for all of your comments. I grill them all of the time and have never smoked a pork tenderloin. Sounds like the general consensus is to grill and not smoke. I also like the plain ones the best - tried a seasoned one once, and did not like it. Only reason I was thinking about smoking them, is b/c I have to do so many. But they are easy enough to grill. Think I will do them the day before the party and then take out of the frig to come to romm temp the day of the party - unless someone has a better idea.