Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! I need a knockout

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since being Egg-addicted for a couple of years, I have Wowed my family, friends, and me frankly with my new cooking prowess - but with mostly the basics, ribs, pork loins, chickens, MM turkeys, lamb, steaks.[p]Our closest friends (4 couples total) are having our Christmas get-together this Sunday but not at our house. I have been asked to bring the main meat dish. [p]I want to knock them dead (so to speak) with what I bring. It must travel well (one hour), but I want it to be different from the basics. [p]Suggestions?[p]Thanks,
TV

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    The Texas Vintner,[p]We had a three hour ride to get to a friends place for a party and I did chicken breasts with a little light cherry smoke wahmed them up just a bit in the oven when we got there and they were a hit. Simple rub is sufficient. I did butter, salt and pepper. [p]Then there's always Pulled Pork if it's not too fancy a gathering. [p]You'll get a bunch more ideas pretty soon as the Cult stumbles from their beds.
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    The Texas Vintner,[p]Brisket and Pulled Pork will both travel extremely well. In fact, both should rest for an hour in foil and a cooler even when served at home. So the car ride will be no problem. I've also had good luck with bone-in Prime Rib. Letting it rest for 30 or 40 minutes before serving, so an hour shouldn't be a problem. If you have a good method of warming something when you get there, the blue cheese stuffed beef tenderloin is a real knockout.
    Bleu Cheese Stuffed Beef Loin [p]2 pound(s) Beef Tenderloin
    1/2 cup Cheese, Bleu
    2 tablespoon(s) Butter
    1/2 cup Bread crumbs, fine
    1 cup Mushrooms, fresh, chopped
    1/4 cup Onion(s), minced
    1 teaspoon Rosemary, dried[p]WET RUB
    A1 Steak Sauce, Country Bob's Sauce, Dales Marinade or other such liquid
    Grated horseradish[p]PREPARATION:
    The night before or the morning of, coat entire loin with sauce.
    Add the horseradish and cover generously. Use the kind that is in a jar in the cooler section of the supermarket. Cover this with plastic wrap and let marinate for as long as possible.
    When ready to cook, let beef warm to room temp and make your stuffing.
    Cut loin horizontally to make a pocket for the stuffing.
    In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
    Add the onion, mushrooms and rosemary. Saute until onion is soft.
    Add the bread crumbs and cheese and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
    Insert the stuffing into the pocket in the loin.
    Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper on both sides.
    Grill over high heat(450-500º) to sear each side. This will take about 3 minutes per side.
    Reduce heat to 350-400º and cook another 10-20 minutes turning a couple of times.
    Grill to your liking.
    Cooking times are dependent on many factors, so use a temp gauge to test meat.[p]Good Luck with whatever you choose.[p]Dave
    [p][p]

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    The Texas Vintner,
    ive done this a few times, i just about double the garlic now. usually for new years though. its a different twist to pulled pork[p]
    Lechon Asado...Major Success! [p]

[p][ Follow Ups ] [ Club Egg - BGE Forum ] [ FAQ ][p]
    [p]Posted by WDAN on January 07, 2004 at 00:18:11:[p]As I mentioned during the December holidays, I did a low 'n slow pork butt called Lechon Asado for New Years' Eve. Oh yeah, baby! If you are looking for yet another excuse to do L&S pork butt, but want it different than traditional Carolina pull, try this! My guests loved it and I actually liked it too (I'm my own worst critic).[p]While this is a Cuban Christmas Eve roast-a-whole-pig thing, I approximated it by doing a 9.5 lb pork butt on the egg.[p]Marinade (do it for 24 hrs):
    12 - 15 (as many as you're willing to mince) cloves garlic
    1 Tbl kosher salt
    2 tsp cumin (ground)
    2 tsp oregano (dried)
    1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 Tbl olive oil
    It would be best if you can do this in a food processor and get it to turn out like a thick salad dressing...I was lazy and just hand-blended it all in a bowl...but it seemed to work just fine.[p]After 12- 24 hrs of marinating, egg the pig indirectly at a dome temp of 250-ish until meat internal temp is 200 -- just like you're doing a pull. My 9.5 lb butt needed a little over 20 hrs. I used some peach wood in the lump intead of doing my normal hickory thing. I don't know if it mattered that much as I was trying to make sure it didn't come out tasting like Carolina pull when I use hickory.[p]The meat had a decidedly different flavor than the normal fair and was further differentiated by the Mojo sauce:
    1 cup olive oil
    12 cloves garlic (sliced thin)
    1 cup fresh lime juice
    1/3 cup orange juice
    2 tsp kosher salt
    2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dried oregano
    ground black pepper to taste (~1 tsp)[p]Simmer all this in a sauce pan for about 20 minutes or so. Serve as a side dip for the pork.[p]Embellishments:
    The meat is different than traditional pull, but not overwhelmingly so. The mojo does it right, but as someone mentioned when I first posted my intention of doing this cook, traditional Carolina vinegar sauce would be absolutely outstanding with this meat (refer to legendary Elder Ward documentation).[p]If you're looking for a different kind of pull, try this! The Cuban thing was a smash hit at my Anglo house. Black beans and rice were a perfect complement, not to mention the music! [p][p][p]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    The Texas Vintner, How about Mr. Toad's Pork Loin?

[ul][li]link[/ul]
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Gandolf,
    That sounds great. Gotta try it one of these days. [p]It also looks like something that could be cooked on a Mini Big Green Egg. What do you think?[p]Spring "Magic Potion Must Not Be Working Today" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA [p]

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The Texas Vintner,[p]Search the archives for "Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham." It is super tastey, and fairly simple and quick, although you need an injector. Note that in most of the recipes for it, orange extract is used as part of the injection. The final recipe excludes it. The orange juice in the glaze is just fine, but the orange extract is too strong against the rum and other flavors.[p] Should travel pretty well in a cooler. [p]gdenby

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The Texas Vintner,[p]Standing rib roast.[p]Take it off, immediately double wrap in foil, towels, and cooler. It should hold fine for an hour.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    gdenby,
    there was a couple dr chicken recipes floating around that were wrong, it was later edited to read teaspoon instead of tablespoon under the orange extract. ive seen the older recipe come up a couple times in the last year.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    The Texas Vintner,
    A crown roast will work good for 4 or 5 couples and makes a good presentation.[p]A Crown roast is made out of a bone in pork loin.My meat cutter at Publix takes a 8 or 9 pound loin,cuts one inch slits in between each bone and then rolls it in a circle and ties it with butchers twine.I stuff it with one pound of sausage with sage,paint it with yellow mustard and sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper.[p]Cooking[p]I place the roast on a rack over a drip pan and cook at 350 degrees until internal temp reaches 150 degrees. I take it off,let it rest for 15 minutes and [p][p]Stuffing
    ½ lb sausage
    ½ apple, peeled & chopped
    ½ Vidalia onion, chopped
    ½ small container mushrooms, chopped
    ¼ tsp Tarragon
    ¼ tsp Sage
    2 Tbsp olive oil[p]Saute above ingredients until sausage is brown & onions are transparent. [p]
    Larry
    8515.jpg[p]

• Fidel,
    Yes, a rib roast sounds good. Any hints or pointers to best sure ways to prepare and temp / time / smoke recommendations. I usually like a dry run with just me and wife, but no time. Elegant but simple is goal.[p] Tomorrow, I will be going to Dallas Whole foods market for stuff. I have full range of dizzy rubs.[p]Thanks,
    TV[p]

• YB,
    Wow. Beautiful, that's what I'm talking about. Definitely a possibility, but am a little concerned about needing to try it first to get it right and finding a butcher to cut it right.[p]Thanks,
    TV

• J Appledog,
    I already have done a bunch of different types of pork loins with these guys. In fact, did several for one of them to take on a big family camping trip.[p]That is what I am sure they are expecting me to bring. BTW, a great pork loin is the Rosemary Grilled pork loin from Barbecue Bible.[p]TV

• fishlessman,
    My only really disapointment from the egg was my first and only try with a butt. I like your recipe and will try on myself, but too scary to try for this shindig.[p]TV

• Gandolf
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Seems perfect for the Mini. Let us know how it turns out.
  • Gandolf,
    That looks good but will need a dry run before exposing myself to this crowd. Also two of the crowd are very basic - a good hamburger would be their choice, a blue cheese stuffing might be mre than they could handle.[p]However, I am going to do that for myself - maybe tomorrow night.[p]TV

• Gandolf
    Options
    texas vintner,[p]Hope you like it. The blue cheese stuffing has a very nice flavor and takes some of the edge off the blue cheese taste. My wife doesn't like blue cheese, but loves this. So who knows? [p]Dave

• Sundown,
    Interesting idea. i was thinking more of a roast of some sort, but this would be nice fall back. [p]I also might want to bring a complementary other meat of some sort. Thoughts?[p]TV

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    flanksteak.jpg
    <p />The Texas Vintner,[p]Mad Max's rolled flank steak is always a good idea. It doesn't need to be hot to be served so you should be able to just keep them a warm for the trip.[p]Chuck

• Chuck,[p]That is a good possibility, but I can't find the recipe; I assumed it would be on the naked whiz website.[p]TV
  • TheGrillisGone
    Options
    Larry,[p]Looks Great! Is that a mini grate its sitting on. Did you do this cook on a mini? Can you help with setup you used?[p]Thanks![p]Jim

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    Center%20cut%20Rack%20of%20pork%20002.jpg?dc=4675460753020203670
    <p />The Texas Vintner, plenty of great ideas below, for sure. I was surprised you didn't mention mention brisket, being from Texas and all.
    I thought I'd throw center cut rack of pork in there, just in case you see a sweet one or 2 at your butcher. Picture slicing big, fat, juicy, perfectly cherry smoked pork chops right in front of your pals eyes. I bet they'll love whatever you decide on. Have a blast,
    Scott

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    texas Vintner,[p]Here you go.

[ul][li]Flank Steak[/ul]
  • egginator
    Options
    texas vintner,
    You probably got a Kroger butt. They brine them or something and they come out dry. Try a couple from Sam's and try again.[p]Ed

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    DSC00195.JPG
    <p />TheGrillisGone,
    It's sitting on a 10" grid on a 9" pie plate...I set the pie pan on a pizza stone and cook at 350°.You can use any drip pan and grid that you have.Hope this helps.
    Larry

• Just a follow up if anyone is still reading this far down the list. These were all great ideas - have bookmarked them all.[p]Decided on Rib roast for big shindig, but am doing a rolled flanksteak tonight for informal beighbor thing for wife to show off her decorated tree. Also got stuff for blue cheese stuffed loin - will try that this week on just me and wife.[p]Thanks for all the input; this is really the best cult i belong to,[p]TV