Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Charcoal

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I paid for my first BGE today and it will be delivered tomorrow. The only problem is that the dealer was out of BGE charcoal until next Wednesday. It was like telling a young kid "here's your new bike but you can't ride for a week". The dealer told me if I couldn't wait Wal-Mart had some lump charcoal, although it would not be the quality of the BGE stuff. Does it make a difference? I've been excited to get the BGE for a month and I don't want my first couple cooks to turn out "average". If it just burns faster that ok, I just don't want the flavor to be affected. Thanks.

Comments

• Metalhead
    Options
    NUMAN,
    as far as i no walmart has royal oak which is bge brand

• Metalhead
    Options
    Metalhead,
    apparently royal oak gives first pick to bge lump and then bags there own lump from the remainder....as long as it is lump made here in these FINE united states of AMERICA THEN YOU SHOULD BE a ok

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    NUMAN,
    The BGE lump is made by Royal Oak. There are rumors that Royal Oak gives them the best stuff, but I've never heard anything that confirms it. Also, if it is true, it's hard to say there is enough difference that you should wait for the dealer to get his in. Trust me. Go buy some from Wal*Mart. Go buy Cowboy lump from Ace, Lowes or wherever if you have to. But get some lump and start cooking.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • NUMAN,[p]You probably already know this -- but be careful to buy LUMP, [or 100% natural], and not briquettes.[p]Briquettes won't hurt your Egg, but they leave quite a residue and can clog up the works... and they add stink to the cook.[p]I didn't know the difference when I started cooking with my Egg, and once I got straightened out... oh, viva la difference![p]~ Broc

• The Naked Whiz,
    Just what I wanted to hear. I will fire things up this weekend!

• Smokin' Lady
    Options
    NUMAN, I second what Naked Whiz said, just get your hands on whatever lump you can and fire her up. Where I live I can only get lump by BGE, Royal Oak or Maple Leaf. I have found that Maple Leaf has a lot of small bits and dust, but the other two are very good. This is the first time that I've heard BGE and Royal Oak lump come from the same source, which explains why their are so similar. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new purchase. This is the quick dinner I made myself tonight since I didn't want to spend too long standing in the blowing wind and snow, but the little steak, couple of portabellos and a green pepper (all treated with Dizzy Pig "Raising the Steaks" rub) were delicious, and ready about 5 minutes after I threw them on.
    Steakdinner.jpg

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Smokin' Lady,
    BGE lump and Royal Oak don`t come from the same source.....Royal Oak "IS" the source, they are the manufacturer...just for the record....And keep up the wonderful cooks..[p]Wess

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    Broc, just across the Muddy Mo from Omaha,[p]Has anyone tried the Rancher hardwood briquettes from Original Charcoal? I've been using it in my WSM with good results. Yeah, it would be more ash than lump, but it doesn't have the chemical smell of other briquettes.[p]...ron

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Options
    WessB,
    Could you explain that? I thought BGE and Royal oak was the same stuff in the bag? If it is not can you tell us what it is?
    thanks
    ron.

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    ChefRD,[p]The charcoal is made by Royal Oak. Some of it goes in bags the say Royal Oak, some of it goes in bags that say Big Green Egg.[p]
  • proudpapa56
    Options
    NUMAN,
    Just so I wouldn't have to buy 112 bags at a clip I asked at Lowes the other day if they would carry the Cowboy lump through the winter and they said it is a stock item that is there all year.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    ChefRD,
    What Wess was saying is that Royal Oak doesn't get it's charcoal from someone else. The statement "bge and RO get their charcoal from the same source" might imply that there is a third party who makes the charcoal, which is not true. RO makes the charcoal and sells it to BGE as well as the public. [p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    Thanks for the clarification, and very well put I might add..You gonna bring your sorry butt to Waldorf this year???? LOL[p]Wess