Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey smoking

Options
Statrat42
Statrat42 Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be smoking my 1st turkey on my BGE Thursday. I will be cooking a 14 pound bird on a vertical stand. At what temperature and for how long should I cook the turkey. I cooked 2 whole chickens that weighed approximately 4 pounds each last week at 320 degrees for about 2 hours to get the thighs at 185 degrees and the breast meat was a little dry. What did I do wrong?
What suggestions do you have for smoke flavor? I have read that pecan is good. Thank you for your help and Happy Thanksgiving!

Comments

• Doug
    Doug Posts: 132
    Options
    A few thoughts=[p]Brining helps keep moisture and impart a bit of flavor. Any of the salt based brines work fine.[p]I smoke mine for about 25-30 mins/lb for a 12 lb bird. Bigger is harder and takes longer to get into safe zone. I do 250 temp to 160 breast/170 thigh and then tent once off with foil- temp will continue to rise for a while.[p]For further moisture, do Beer Butt Chicken style with a Fosters beer can.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    Statrat42,
    Follow the link for a very good turkey.[p]Mike

[ul][li]Mad Max Method[/ul]